Service Pack 3 for Vectorworks 2019 released

On 4/8/2019 at 3:28 PM, zoomer said:

It is an anomaly that when your Symbol content sits all on Class none,

when you insert the Symbol, all its content will switch to the Attributes

of the Class the Symbol was inserted on.

While if the Symbol content has any other Class assigned than none,

it will behave like any Symbol in VW an keep its own Classes Attributes.

OMG...Is THAT what's going on?! Thank you for clearing this up for me! I had learned that setting class to "none" inside a symbol allows the overall symbol class to control display. But often this does not work. Now I know why...

Honestly, this really needs to be fixed! It is far too often the case to have some text inside a symbol set to a separate "...IDEN" class, so the text can be turned on or off separate from the linework. This shouldn't get in the way of using the "'none' class gets overwritten by symbol class attributes" rule. 

Matt

On 4/12/2019 at 6:50 PM, mgries said:

OMG...Is THAT what's going on?! Thank you for clearing this up for me! I had learned that setting class to "none" inside a symbol allows the overall symbol class to control display. But often this does not work. Now I know why...

Honestly, this really needs to be fixed! It is far too often the case to have some text inside a symbol set to a separate "...IDEN" class, so the text can be turned on or off separate from the linework. This shouldn't get in the way of using the "'none' class gets overwritten by symbol class attributes" rule. 

Matt

I think zoomer is using a VW analogy to explain how things work in Autocad, rather than saying that this is what actually happens in VW.

• Like 4

Well... I only lasted about 28 hours with SP3.  I spent over 25% of that time dealing with new issues, something like half of which were graphics related.

Based on my experience, scroll zooming in VW2019 SP3 was super fast and responsive.  Unfortunately, so much else seemed hesitant and jittery.  Even just drawing a rectangle, there'd be a slight delay.  And there was a lot of spinning beachball with the eyedropper tool.  Even removing the cache for referenced files took a moment, whereas it's immediate in 2018.  This is all based on a 400+/- MB file, but, the same file in both 2018 and 2019.

Getting back to VW 2018, especially with a looming deadline, was a relief.  Good to be back in the frying pan.

I've read posts describing Vectorworks as "bloatware," and as a software burdened by lots of old legacy code.  Bandaids upon bandaids upon bandaids, I guess.  Vectorworks is (or could be...) so great, that I've been pretty successful in mostly ignoring such posts.  But, now, really, I'm kinda starting to wonder...

Hopefully, soon, the promise of the VGM will be realized and/or whatever else is necessary to make Vectorworks speedy, stable, and graphically reliable!! 

I guess this is the fate of any software that is complex and has a lot of legacy. On the DWG side the same applies to AutoCAD versus e.g. Bricscad, with the latter having had a complete rewrite of its code when it broke up with IntelliCAD platform and is now running considerably more efficient/faster for quite a few things than AutoCAD that still has lots of legacy code.

For what I do the first of the slowdown started with VW2017 when the  new VGM got introduced thought hat was mostly with rendering. In VW2018 and even more with VW2019 the overall operational speed slowed down considerably with some common tools. It's almost as if there is some bottleneck between the VGM and the rest of the of VW2019 that is not yet handled by the VGM. With VW2019 SP2 things improved for me to the point that the lag is noticeable but at least bearable compared to what it was before but I hope too this lagging issue gets solved soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are internally working on a full rewrite of VW part by part but that will take quite a bit of time based on my experience with other software companies doing the same for their software products (e.g. Affinity is doing this with their graphics/dtp products and it is taking them a lot of time, but in the end it will be worth it if they don't collapse under the burden they have caused themselves with this, although they started anew instead of updating the existing software but for a complex product like CAD this might be less suitable).

Edited by Art V
  • Like 2

Really frustrated with SP3 performance. Super slow, lots of spinning beachball of death, seems to be graphics related, switching modes doesn't solve it.

From the outside looking in, it sure seems like the new features created new bugs.

2.1 was solid, and I'd roll back if I wasn't going to be onsite building this project for the next two weeks (past the point of no return to pivot mid-project).

Going forward, guess I'll wait for .1 updates...

I would also request that we have more of those minor stability updates in between the big features updates. I'm sure hundreds of bugs were fixed in SP3 but there was a huge gap in between 2.1 and 3.0, and I wish I was using a super stable 2.2 or 2.3 right now, and skipping the big Lumion update until 3.1 or so.

Even Mac OS 10.14.4 is having graphics issues because that was mostly a big push for their new services features subscriptions, so I'm staying on 10.13.6 for now.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/8/2019 at 6:28 PM, zoomer said:

It is an anomaly that when your Symbol content sits all on Class none,

when you insert the Symbol, all its content will switch to the Attributes

of the Class the Symbol was inserted on.

Is this what the none class was created for?! We never were able to understand it.  If I follow correctly your saying that all symbols created on none will actually accept the attributes of the class they are placed on ONLY when the symbol content is designed on the none class?? This has always been quite the annoyance for us.