Service Pack 3 for Vectorworks 2019 released

Hmmh, for me SP3 feels really broken.

(I'm back on Mac)

1. repaired Stair tool can lag heavily

But not always and maybe leads to largely increased file size (?)

2. Heliodon broken

"Class Display" in Light Panel wrong, but does control Heliodon's light visibility.

Moving and snapping Heliodon by Selection Tool arbitrary results.

Visibility issues with Walls (from Revit) until replaced by own Style

(Didn't find any potential visibility problems in Class/OIP/Attributes ?)

Also no Lines in Wireframe but Selection + Highlighting.

My all-by Class and Components Styles switched to by whole POI Attributes

after I select all Objects to force by Class Attributes !?

Openening and reassigning the same Style reverted back to normal.

TL;DR;

Feels like I had less problems in SP2.

Edited by zoomer

My OIP now very often says "nothing selected"  and stays blank after I select something,

although the element is highlighted. I have to de+re-select or select something else in

between to resurrect OIP.

I know that was an Issue (since Mojave?) for some time but I had it really really seldom

in the past.

4 hours ago, zoomer said:

Hmmh, for me SP3 feels really broken.

(I'm back on Mac)

No SP3 issues on windows here 😁, but then I'm still not on SP3 as the local distributor will not be releasing SP3.1 until the end of this month 😕

Nonetheless I really hope these issues are VW Architect Mac tools specific issues and not a result from core compenents being broken in some way as that would be a real bummer although some of these tools are in Landmark on Windows as well. 

This whole bugs and updates/fixes stuff on VW 2019 starts to feel like an Echternach procession.

Could be possible.

As I normally worked on my PC until a week ago.

With SP2 and a bit of SP3 and hadn't much to moan (?)

And I have no pre-Mojave Apple machine to test if it is still Mojave related stuff.

Time for a Linux Version. 

Currently I prefer Manjaro, Open Suse Tumbleweed or MX Linux.

But that shouldn't matter if it is released as Flatpack though.

Edited by zoomer
22 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

It would be nice if checking the "Use at creation" box actually worked but it doesn't, so I have to keep a mental checklist of all the places I need to hunt down to get a stick of truss to display the texture I set for that class.

This to me sounds like you are applying class properties to a symbol/PIO and then it only works when you set those properties to the symbol's subcomponents classes.

Otherwise it will only assign the class to the symbol but not to its subcomponents, it has been this way for a long time. This is why in the past I submitted a request for something similar to AutoCAD's symbol functionality where a symbol having all its components on layer 0 and set to bylayer will adopt the settings (colour, linetype etc.) of the layer it is inserted on. The VW equivalent would be to have the by class settings to always take on the settings on of the class the symbol is inserted on unless specified otherwise.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Mark Aceto said:

...but to have to enter that info consistently in all places is insane.

It probably depends on what info, but for where I used it, it updated in all places where that entry is visible as far as I can remember (e.g. class descriptions can be entered in the organization palette and will show up in the OIP etc., no need to reenter it there).

Are there specific situations where it does not update the info?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Art V said:

This is why in the past I submitted a request for something similar to AutoCAD's symbol functionality where a symbol having all its components on layer 0 and set to bylayer will adopt the settings (colour, linetype etc.) of the layer it is inserted on.

Say what you will about AutoCAD but, yes, this ability of its Layer 0 sure would be appreciated in Vectorworks!

2 minutes ago, willofmaine said:

Say what you will about AutoCAD but, yes, this ability of its Layer 0 sure would be appreciated in Vectorworks!

Yes, I very often run into the issue where I need to create multiple versions of a simple standard symbol just to have its colour change to represent something indicated by that colour. Not to mention when it needs to be a different colour for some of those if only a few change. The "layer 0" functionality would be a big time and resource saver in such cases.

...And since symbols can't inherit the class properties automatically, it is very easy to accidentally put a symbol on a wrong class only to see that symbol pop up in a wrong viewport etc. I do miss layer 0 (and the command line)...

1 hour ago, JMR said:

...And since symbols can't inherit the class properties automatically, it is very easy to accidentally put a symbol on a wrong class only to see that symbol pop up in a wrong viewport etc. I do miss layer 0 (and the command line)...

Been there done that with VW symbols. The more classes and layer syou have the worse it can get. But the same applies on the DWG side, but there it is a bit easier to spot but not always.

Even though it does have the advantage for setting a fixed insertion class that is not predefined in the symbol subobjects, something that AutoCAD doesn't really have unless you write a menu for it. But I rarely have a use for that in VW as for the kind of work where I could really use it , it is not feasible to use VW because it is lacking in a few things e.g. [broken record alert on].. not being able to import/export  text styles to DWG [broken record alert off].

VW's keyboard shortcuts get me a long way but sometimes having a command line in VW would be really nice. I still use it a lot on "the other side".

First I thought you were speaking about record formats!  😁

There are those of us who occasionally venture into the dark side....not more powerful, but easier, faster...

I've heavily customized the keyboard shortcuts, they do get one pretty far. The only thing is that when an employee asks for help with something, I'm completely crippled at their stock keyboard setup...they are wondering what is that old fart trying to do, pressing all the wrong keys constantly.

• Like 1

It is an anomaly that when your Symbol content sits all on Class none,

when you insert the Symbol, all its content will switch to the Attributes

of the Class the Symbol was inserted on.

While if the Symbol content has any other Class assigned than none,

it will behave like any Symbol in VW an keep its own Classes Attributes.

2 hours ago, JMR said:

I've heavily customized the keyboard shortcuts, they do get one pretty far. The only thing is that when an employee asks for help with something, I'm completely crippled at their stock keyboard setup...they are wondering what is that old fart trying to do, pressing all the wrong keys constantly.

Ha ha!  I may as well be a Vectorworks novice beginner if I don't have my keyboard shortcuts.  I'm clueless as to where most of the underlying shortcut commands are!

11 hours ago, zoomer said:

1. repaired Stair tool can lag heavily

But not always and maybe leads to largely increased file size (?)

Definitely experiencing file size bloat again which is pretty typical this time of year. After this project, it's time for a clean install of SP3.1

11 hours ago, zoomer said:

TL;DR;

Feels like I had less problems in SP2.

Same.

Also, the Screen Plane keeps activating and abducting objects that belong on the Layer Plane, which I've never experienced before. Frankly, I wish I could disable Screen Plane altogether. This isn't MiniCAD.

I think maybe the key learning with 2019 is to wait for the .1 incremental updates (praying for 3.1).

7 hours ago, Art V said:

It probably depends on what info, but for where I used it, it updated in all places where that entry is visible as far as I can remember (e.g. class descriptions can be entered in the organization palette and will show up in the OIP etc., no need to reenter it there).

Are there specific situations where it does not update the info?

Specifically, when Vectorworks is running.

The solution is to have more of a heads up arrangement of palettes like Cinema or Unreal vs going down a rabbit hole of buried palette tabs, dialogs, windows, preferences and advanced settings just to do something simple like setting attributes and textures.

It's like every time I use a worksheet, I'm harnessing the incredible power of a relational database... that was designed by someone in the 90's and hasn't been updated since.

3 hours ago, zoomer said:

It is an anomaly that when your Symbol content sits all on Class none,

when you insert the Symbol, all its content will switch to the Attributes

of the Class the Symbol was inserted on.

While if the Symbol content has any other Class assigned than none,

it will behave like any Symbol in VW an keep its own Classes Attributes.

@zoomer: In your experience is this behavior different than previous versions / SPs?

Thanks

8 hours ago, line-weight said:

Can someone explain what the mysterious 'layer 0' is? (The last time I used Autocad was last millennium. I did use the command line and can still type the word 'erase' in a microsecond)

If you draw a block (symbol) contents on layer (class) 0 and set their properties to "bylayer", the contents always inherit the properties of that layer, including line type, thickness, color etc.

Therefore it's very easy to spot any block(symbol) residing on a wrong layer(class), since it always looks different. The only thing is to remember to keep layer 0 visible everywhere (otherwise your symbols can't be seen).

BTW I remember  having elaborate setups for aliases to avoid too much writing, like

1=pline

11=pedit

c=copy

cc=circle

ccc=chamfer

etc..

13 hours ago, JMR said:
22 hours ago, line-weight said:

Can someone explain what the mysterious 'layer 0' is? (The last time I used Autocad was last millennium. I did use the command line and can still type the word 'erase' in a microsecond)

If you draw a block (symbol) contents on layer (class) 0 and set their properties to "bylayer", the contents always inherit the properties of that layer, including line type, thickness, color etc.

@line-weight Not just what JMR said, but it also updates to the settings of the new layer if you move the symbol from one layer to another having different settings for colour etc. And that is where the real benefit lies of the AutoCAD symbols that is currently missing in VW symbols.

1 hour ago, Wesley Burrows said:

I just get it on Best Performance.   

On Best Performance, our worksheets are not visible all the time, especially at file opening. Sometimes they disappear and cannot be selected. Changing the setting to something else brings them back. This with 2019 Designer SP3.

Weirdly, for 2018 and 2019 it seems some things work better with some display settings while others do not - there is no real constancy except overall the "best compatibility and performace" has fewest issues, IMHO.

Edit: Also 3D orthogonal OpenGL views do not update properly; eg. changing a heliodon clock doesn't reflect in the view until one zooms in and out a bit.

Edited by JMR
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, JMR said:

On Best Performance, our worksheets are not visible all the time, especially at file opening. Sometimes they disappear and cannot be selected. Changing the setting to something else brings them back. This with 2019 Designer SP3.

Weirdly, for 2018 and 2019 it seems some things work better with some display settings while others do not - there is no real constancy except overall the "best compatibility and performace" has fewest issues, IMHO.

I too get disappearing worksheets,  (or they hop around,  or sometimes the horizontal cell outlines go off into infinity)   Other random objects I can no longer select,  or you try and move an object and basically the bounding box acts like it moved,  but the geometry is still in the original location,  and you can't select it.  But if you can find the invisible bounding box again you can "move it"    Lots of weirdness.   

Edited by Wesley Burrows