Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Setting Hybrid symbol fill

2D and 3D objects are all together, so start with FInSymDef() and traverse the list. If you want to set attributes differently for 2D and 3D objects, you have to check the object type to see if it is 2D or 3D, and if 2D check to see if the planar ref is set to zero (screen plane).

Then you have to consider how the symbols are constructed. Are there container objects within that you need to traverse such as Groups, or PIOs that are controlling fill attributes of objects within independently? Then you will also need to check whether any of the objects have their attributes being controlled by class and respond accordingly. So all in all, not a simple task.

And well within Josh's and Julian's.  I am a little embarrassed about  not having remembered "FInSymDef()", but it will do the trick nicely.  Right now the symbols will be simple hybrid symbols from the VW truss library, but later on I will need to get into the Profile Group of the TrussItem PIO and then into the symbols contained there in, but that is for later and the same approach can be used...  I think.

Thanks again

Not to worry Pat.  This is actually starting from a different place and is a different thread.  I have a truss label PIO.  This PIO accesses the "Truss Record"  to display values in the Truss Label.  Which "Truss Record" is used depends on the selected object; it could be a symbol, a group, a "Truss" object (which is really a "TrussItem" object), or a Hanging Position.  The Hanging Position presents a more complex problem, since it could be made up of symbols or TrussItems, but it is all doable.  However, the "Truss Record" is insufficient for most rigger, ME, LD needs if they are going to bother with labeling their truss/hanging position objects.  So...   I have added to fields to the "Truss Record", "Bolts" and "Pins".  My label PIO can be used with objects using the standard VW Truss Record or my expanded Truss Record.  If they use the former they will have access to less data, but labels will work.  So...  I have written another command that will expand the "Truss Record" of the document which will automatically be applied to objects to which that record is attached, but the values in those fields may not be accurate.  So...   I have created a command that will allow users to fill in the following "Truss Record" fields, "Truss Color", "Bolts", and "Pins" for selected symbols in the document.  While I was doing that, I thought I would let them pick a fill color for the selected symbols.  While I was doing that, I thought I would allow them to rename the symbol definitions if they wished.  Things keep piling on in my scripting world. 

There was some concern that my expanded "Truss Record" would play havoc with the "Insert Truss" tool, but my testing seems to indicate it all works fine.  As for the user in the other thread, his life would be made easier by my command, but it is unlikely that he will hear about it.