SOLID EXTRUDES AS DASHED LINES IN 2D/PLAN VIEW

genie

We have started using 3D in Vectorworks, but still trying to figure out the work flow. If we have any architectural features that need to be shown on the plan as being demolished, we would  have just drawn the line as dashed previously. With our project modeled in 3D, I don't think I can turn a solid as dashed (e.g. a concrete deck). What are the ways to show demo'd vs. new vs. existing in a 3D environment?  All suggestions kindly appreciated!

If this has been asked before, please kindly direct me to the discussion thread. I can't seem to find it. 

Thanks in advance!

Vectorworks 2019 PC Windows 10 Pro

Extrudes and other 3d solids, do not have hatch, fill, or line type properties, which is one of the problematic things about VW in my opinion.  I recommend making your overhead 3d Geometry an Auto Hybrid. 

@Alan Woodwell created a video which explains this function in much better detail than I ever could.  I don't know for certain that it works in fundamentals.  But it works in VW Architect.  Create Auto Hybrid is located in the AEC pulldown menu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo3erdwpF40

The caveat with this approach is that Auto Hybrids can be finicky.  To undo them you have to ungroup them in a 3d view.  Otherwise, they lose their 3d location information.   Editing Auto Hybrids can also present challenges. However, you can edit the cut plane and how objects above the cut plane appear in 2d. 

Hope this helps and good luck!

1094338961_ScreenShot2019-03-18at8_34_36PM.thumb.png.a56aeb65f6325cca5f3a8807ecd2086b.png

Edited by cberg
grammar
  • Like 1

If you just need to show the 3D object in plan as dashed, you could just use a hybrid symbol, no? Simply create a symbol of your 3D object and draw what you need to show in plan in the symbol 2D component. This is what we do frequently - but it works only if the situation is "static".

Now, if you need to be able to reshape or move the object along the z axis, then auto-hybrid would be the only option to automatically retain the link between 2D and 3D.

Edit: Ok, you want to show that in 3D environment, did't read carefully enough.

Edited by JMR
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

We usually move the demolished items into a "demo" class.  That lets us automatically assign common attributes to the objects.

I try to limit extrudes in architectural drawings because of the difficulty in controlling 2D rendering.  We use them primarily in complex modeling applications where they are used for 3D renderings and assign them to a "Model Only" class (so that they disappear in 2D.  Instead of extrudes, try using the "Floor" feature.  That will allow you to create an object that will allow for independent control of 2D and 3D appearance and can often be used instead of an extrude.

• Like 1

@genie I'd like to add something to what everyone else said, concerning the auto-hybrid command: while making your symbol a hybrid one (means it has a 2D (Top/Plan) and a 3D appearance) is the right way to go, I quickly found myself unhappy with these automatic 2D appearances, as I often found they show either the wrong lines, or too few, or too many, but never exactly what I want.

So @genie if you ever find yourself in that situation, here's my solution to it:

what I usually do to get the top plan view I want when using solids is:

• Model the entire thing in 3D until you're happy with it. Make it a symbol by going to: Organisation -> Create Symbol

Drag it into it's final location.

• go to a top/plan view. You should see a mess of lines, because solid extruds have no fill in a top/plan view.

• draw the 2D apparition you want your object to have on top of your object using 2D polylines or rectangles/triangles/whatever.

select every shape you drew.

• cut them using Ctrl+X (PC) or CMD+X (Mac).

• Right-Click your Symbol and choose "Edit 2D part". You'll arrive to an empty screen, since your symbol has no 2D appearance yet.

• Paste the things you cut out earlier (Ctrl+V on PC, CMD+V on Mac).

• Go back to your top/plan view. You might find the 2D part of your symbol placed somewhere on your floorplan where it isn't supposed to be. But if you go to any 3D view, you'll see your Symbol is still placed correctly, only the 2D part is not sitting on top of the 3D one. SO you need to go to a top/plan view again,

• double-click the offset 2D part of your symbol

• everything except your 2D symbol will now show greyed out. drag the 2D part to it's correct location and exit back to your top/plan view.

Voilà, now you have the 2D apparition you want for your 2D/3D symbol.

Edited by Phileas
  • Like 1