Vectorworks and OneDrive (or Dropbox) - multiple users?

Hi, i'm interested to hear from users how they deal with cloud storage and what works best if two people happen to open the same drawing at the same time. what happens with onedrive? what happens with Dropbox?

We are a 'office 365' company and we don't really use Dropbox org wide. we are just migrating to the cloud and moving all our file system to SharePoint and OneDrive for business.

Do you need to check files in/out? that seems like a royal pain and its not supported in the file explorer with onedrive. you have to go online and that's not going to work.

please share your tips and experiences for moving to a cloud storage solution! 🙂

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi, I'm new to this forum, we're using sharepoint libaries to store vwx files. We use the onedrive app to sync the files from the computers and on-line. This part works fine, (most of the time) Other users need to look for the .lck files before opening a file. I didn't manage make a flow which check's out a file a soon a .lck file is created, should be possible.

There are some issues;

-the file it self it locked bij vwx, so as soon as you close the file, the onedrive app starts uploading, not before

-something is going wrong when using reference files between mac and windows, they refer to different directory, even when the path is set relatief to the orginal file

the checkout / in function works but then, it's not great sinces it's not works with vwx or file explorer itself.

• 3 weeks later...

yes we need vectorworks to support auto checkout, so VW checks the file out when you open it. the other problem is when someone goes to edit a file whiel someone else is in it. then you get two versions, not a warning!

as good as the 'the cloud' is, it still does not work like a good old file server system. developers all need to support these file systems and cloud systems so this stuff can really get off the ground 🙂

• 1 year later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yesterday, Vectorworks 2021 SP3 shipped, and with it Vectorworks Cloud Services' enhanced folder sharing. With the new “Sync and Edit” permission, participants can sync a shared folder to their local desktop computer, enabling workflows that require multiple users to access and edit files stored in a common location. For Vectorworks Design Series users, project sharing and workgroup folders are now supported. I hope you enjoy it!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, inikolova said:

Yesterday, Vectorworks 2021 SP3 shipped, and with it Vectorworks Cloud Services' enhanced folder sharing. With the new “Sync and Edit” permission, participants can sync a shared folder to their local desktop computer, enabling workflows that require multiple users to access and edit files stored in a common location. For Vectorworks Design Series users, project sharing and workgroup folders are now supported. I hope you enjoy it!

This is really exciting news Inikolova! Thankyou 🙂

@Haydenovative

Edited by frozenwaffles
  • Like 1