selecting lighting units???

Hello Guys.

In VW 2018, the process to choose lighting instruments seems to be missing an important step. At no point does anyone address the dropdown menu. When i went to work on existing plots, I was faced with not being able to select or even find units from the library for any units. I kept getting There are no items to show in this view message. Quite a bit of consternation and frustration ensued and my fix was to copy from other drawings and paste into the new plot. After days of repeated review of the process in Help and getting nowhere, I finally noticed a new window for this version that said Hatches. This then led me to see it was a dropdown menu to determine what resources are being displayed. At which point, it begs the question as to why there is a dropdown menu in the first place since one chooses what resources are needed when you enter the library?

Thanks.

This menu is a filter. If you have lots of kinds of resources in a document, this lets you only see the resources that interest you, for instance if you are looking to just browse textures and ignore a long list of symbols.

I believe that All Resources is the setting for new installations — if that is not what you experienced you may have discovered a bug or inherited a setting via the Migration Manager.

It's worth noting that when you have the Lighting Instrument Insertion tool selected, the resource manager dropdown in the mode bar is not subject to the filters, as this is automatically filtered by the tool's code to always and only show you lighting device symbols.