Copy and Paste Symbols???

I don't have the manual in front of me, but if I am not mistaken I read that you can edit a symbol and then copy and paste it. I have two drawings in question where I editted the symbol on one and then copied and pasted it to the other drawing and the portion that I editted reverted back to its original values, in this case I changed the size of a rectangle. Both drawings were the same scale. I could copy/paste between layers on the same drawing but not from drawing to drawing.

Any thoughts???

Thanks,

Tom in PA

Symbol definitions reside in each drawing file. When you pasted the symbol into the target file, it showed the symbol according to its own definition of a symbol with that name, not according to the definition in the source file.

To do what you want, Copy the objects in the symbol in the source file, not the symbol itself. Then go into an instance of the symbol in the target file, delete the objects that are to change, and paste in the new objects. When you're done, all instances of that symbol in the target file will be updated.

Or, you can import the replacement symbol through the Resource Browser. Make the target file your active file. In the Resource Browser, select the file with the symbol you want. Select the symbol, and click Resources>Import. VW should ask you if you want to replace the existing symbol.