Multiple copy items by reference point

jonp0001

Question

Hello - still getting used to VW from Autocad. I'm trying to work out how to copy an object multiple times but relative to a given point that its not part of the object to be copied. A bit like a multiple array. I hope that makes sense! All I can make it do is cntrl C / Cntrl V then move using grips which is a bit laborious.

11 answers to this question

This is something that I had already struggled and still didn't had a solution.

How do I do several copies from an original object without knowing the number of copies? What I would like to do is to copy an object giving a base point and then just click where I want my copied object layed out.

Can someone help me?

• Like 2

Thanks for answering Jonathan, I've had a chance to play with that command and its not quite what I need. I've drawn a diagram that I hope clarifies things (Joao - I believe this is similar to your question too, but what if the 'future' base point was on randomly spaced objects diagram also attached).

The move by point command* works when there is an equal spacing between entities. But what I need is a command that will let me copy an object which is 'off grid' from the array, but the base point is the same. Hopefully the diagram clarifies. Its a simple concept, but surprising hard to write down!

*(see attached screen shot of the command line for the tool - slight rant alert why is this called 'move' and not 'copy' or 'array'? Copy write with ACAD maybe..........)

Thanks in advance

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.25.19.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.29.45.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 11.42.08.png

Edited by jonp0001

Thanks Russ, thats interesting and would work for a simple shape. The problem comes when moving the 'circle' relative to a complex object. A real world example would be a light switch symbol (ie the circle) relative to a door reveal in a number of room locations. The door position in plan would vary (effectively 'randomly'), but the proximity of the light switch to the door reveal would be the same in each location.

In Acad the copy command would allow me to select the circle, then select the base point and then click to position A in any location, any amount of times and the object will place relative to A each time. Its quite handy!

Edited by jonp0001

Ah, ok, I see where you're going.

Well, I frequently have 2d and/or 3d locus in with the geometry. So for your circle example, I would group a 2d locus in there with it, which becomes your ancor or snap point.

Also, have it on it's own unique class, so you can switch it off later. I tend to have a class called somthing like Construction-snaps or similar to do this.

In terms of automating the process, I can't think of a way, but having a locus as a pre-offset "handle" for the object would make life much easier.

So either put one in the door, as a "place light here" point, or on the switch as a "corner of door goes here" handle..... or both!

Edited by RussU
  • Like 1

Thanks for this Russ, thats very helpful.

I think the issue maybe I'm currently only using VW as a 2d drafting tool and not exploiting its full potential. We've booked in training to get up to speed with BIM and 3D, but until we've done this it seems like work arounds for some commands (like this one) are the order of the day. Thanks for taking the time though Jonathan and Russ.

Cheers

Jon

• Like 1

Okay, I've found a work around. ctrl C / ctrl V to copy and paste the item to be copied in place (ie an exact duplicate cut and pasted over the original item in the original place so you make a copy), with this duplicate selected, use the 'move by points tool' object retention mode (value set to 1) and you can copy / move relative to a point multipe times.

Have a great weekend

Jon

Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 10.30.14.png

Not so obvious at first, but move by points tool can do this. I believe question was, to have same behaviour like in classic CAD where You copy and place new copy with every new click. In fact with move by points tool, it is almost as easy in ACAD....not the same, but almost 😄

1) Select Move by points tool and set it like this:

image.thumb.png.287ec53ddb1386c5548ce39b207489f2.png

2) Select object (or have it selected before activating tool)

3) Click reference point

4) Now when placing duplicate ...just click twice*** (it makes duplicate and pick reference point again)

***keep in mind to not make fast "double click" just have a little bit more time before second click, because classic fast double click end Move by points tool

Hope it helps guys 😉

• Like 1

Is there an answer to  jpccrodrigues' question?

I want to copy a shape from a certain point ... and then just keep single clicking in different locations to drop one of those shapes at each location?

Etienne

On 3/19/2019 at 6:18 AM, jpccrodrigues said:

This is something that I had already struggled and still didn't had a solution.

How do I do several copies from an original object without knowing the number of copies? What I would like to do is to copy an object giving a base point and then just click where I want my copied object layed out.

Can someone help me?

Oh, wait I see.... I can do that by double clicking.

Etienne

2 minutes ago, Etienne_Mallee said:

Is there an answer to  jpccrodrigues' question?

I want to copy a shape from a certain point ... and then just keep single clicking in different locations to drop one of those shapes at each location?

Etienne