Add Data Tag or Label to Custom Symbol

in need of some help if possible. I've been slowly learning VW and nearly ready (I think) to start using it in anger for project work. Now comfortable with creating all my own custom symbols, attaching a record, creating worksheets, nice looking sheet pages etc. One thing I just can't master is adding a Data Tag to each custom symbol. I want to be able to add a simple number in a circle to each object so it corresponds with the bill of quantities items in  my worksheet and the viewer can see which number tag is which item in my list, any help appreciated 😁(screenshot attached of example I'm trying to achieve)  

Screenshot 2019-03-17 at 20.46.32.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello milezee,

Could you send me a simple test file, that contains your record and example how do you want your data tag to look like? If you want to see only "quantity" from your record, you can use #Record#.#quantity#.

Best Regards,

Kostadin Ivanov

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi milezee,

If I understand correct you want to copy auto incrementing value to symbol's attached record. At the moment this is impossible, but we will think for some improvements. For the moment you can read the date from the attached record. I create a new data tag style - Test Data Tag. You can try whether it will work for you.

Best Regards,

Kostadin Ivanov

test (KIvanov).vwx

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 3/20/2019 at 8:26 AM, KIvanov said:

Hi milezee,

If I understand correct you want to copy auto incrementing value to symbol's attached record. At the moment this is impossible, but we will think for some improvements. For the moment you can read the date from the attached record. I create a new data tag style - Test Data Tag. You can try whether it will work for you.

Best Regards,

Kostadin Ivanov

test (KIvanov).vwx

@KIvanov hi Kostadin, how did you create the new tag style (Test Data Tag) and link it to the record so that each symbol has its own 'number' ? Can you describe step by step please ? many thanks

• 2 weeks later...