OpenGL Low quality

Alex71

If this is in a sheet Layer Viewport, then you need to increase the sheet layer Viewport DPI.

Go to Tools>Organisation and click on the Sheet Layers Tab. There you will find your sheet layers. Double-click the Sheet layer you are working on and change the DPI to something above 300 to get a good clear result.

Edited by markdd
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I tested the output and for this single sheet with all those views at 300dpi res. PDF jumped to 6mb, 18mb if increased at 600dpi. 

Then again, That same high res pdf got exported again as a jpg for the client to see and it went down to 4.2mb and the quality was excellent (but included no vector lines)

I think it is always a balance of the final intent vs quality vs size.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Luis M Ruiz said:

I tested the output and for this single sheet with all those views at 300dpi res. PDF jumped to 6mb, 18mb if increased at 600dpi. 

Then again, That same high res pdf got exported again as a jpg for the client to see and it went down to 4.2mb and the quality was excellent (but included no vector lines)

I think it is always a balance of the final intent vs quality vs size.

The way I see it there are two things going on here...

One is that using OpenGL to produce those particular drawings is kind of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut because really they ought to be output as vector rather than raster graphics - essentially it is linework with areas of flat colour (ok, except for the wood texture). As vector drawings the file size would be measured in kb not mb.

The other is that even when it's appropriate to output as raster graphics - VW produces absolutely enormous file sizes, way bigger than necessary, with very little control over the amount of compression applied. There have been a few threads on this, and there are some ways to reduce the output size a bit but they are either not fully effective or very fiddly. In most cases (in my opinion at least) a file size of 18mb is just not acceptable for a single sheet drawing. It would be impolite to email a file that big, and indeed many email servers would reject it. If you are trying to send a 10 sheet or 100 sheet drawing set... it's even worse.

VW needs to (a) sort out its vector-based 3d output so we don't need to fall back on openGL and (2) sort out its PDF output controls and compression levels.