Assigning Classes

Hi Guys,

I have a general question to class assigning.

Example:

I draw a 2d line elements in my "working" class, pick all elements and assign a class say "concrete slab". When I group the elements the assigned class changes autamatically back to "working" class. This is very annoying.

Anyone with the same issue?

Thank you

That’s how it works. When you make a new group, it is assigned to the active class.  The objects contained within the group should not change class.

In my work, it is not uncommon for a group to contain many objects that are assigned to different classes. 

Edited by markdd

This is normal.

It is possible to have a "container" object - like a group or a symbol, etc. - that contains objects that are assigned to different classes.

So the container has it's own class assignment and the objects contained therein can each have their own class assignment.

This is often very useful.  You can control the visibility of the whole container with its class or turn internal elements on and off.

So, the reason the group of lines in the "concrete slab" class isn't automatically in the concrete slab class is that it is like all other objects:  It springs to life assigned to the currently active class.

There are two workflows to get around this:  

Make "concrete slab" the active class.  Then the lines and the group will be in the "concrete slab" class.

OR

Make all the lines in whatever class is active.  Group them.  Change the class assignment of the group to "concrete slab".  You will get a dialog box asking if you want the contents of the group to also have the group's class.  Choose yes.