Piers in wall but with a void inside

Dear architect friends, I am new to Vectorworks BIM function. I came across this problem that I cannot find an elegant way to solve it. 

The wall is make of four layers: concrete, insulation, gap and brickworks. The others stay the same while the brickworks form a pier as shown in the picture. 

I wonder what is the easy and elegant way to model it in wall style?

Is it possible to keep it still as one wall?

Thank you very much for your kindness in advance! 

Screenshot 2019-03-12 at 22.53.07.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This is called a "Wall Projection" in Vectorworks Architect. Craw a rectangle over the plan view of the wall that is the size of the inside of your pier. Make sure the rect overlaps your air gap. Select the rectangle and the wall and run the "Create Wall Projection" command. Wrap the brick component on the left and nothing on the right. This creates a Wall Feature object inserted in the wall. You can resize it if you wish by double-clicking it or using the Enter Group command. 

Here are some images of the process:

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 9.50.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 9.51.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 9.57.47 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 9.58.10 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Spotlight also has the "Create Wall Projection" command, in the Spotlight:Architectural submenu. Remember, however, that once you create a projection in a wall, you can't then add a door or window in that section of wall. So if you have openings in walls of different thickness, they should be different wall styles.

• Like 1