Custom Line style difficulty :/

I will start by saying we still work in saved views.  Ive tried taking the standard gas line and duplicating it to make our own.  I simply want to make sure the text size appears as 12pt, and would prefer this to be with a dashed line as opposed to the default solid line.  I would also like the text to be on one class and the line to be on another.

Im starting to think this is not possible.  Heck if I could get the font to be 12pt that would be a start.  However when Im editing the line style there is really no obvious correlation to how this is to be scaled.  If I set it to 12 in the edit mode its much larger. Inversely if I try to set it down to .01 it looks close, but how can I actually verify the font size when I exit back out into the layer.

This should be a lot easier to do imo.

For the linetype to always show 12pt text, you need to make it a green page-based symbol. When you edit the linetype geometry you need to be in either a 1:1 layer scale or a sheet layer. Then you will see an accurate reading in the OIP of what the text size is. If you edit from a scaled design layer, then you will see a scaled size reading of the text in the OIP which is not particularly helpful.

I hope that helps.....

You can put the text on a separate class, but in practice that doesn't seem to do anything with regard to visbility as the text is bound up with the attributes of the overall linetype when it is applied to a line.

It's a great idea though. Maybe an enhancement request?

Well that at least helps me solve the riddle.  Another of topic question.  Seems like every time I move a resource from one favorite to the next via the resource browser it seems to always generate a "saved Views" folder?  Im just moving the line style to another file yet it always brings one of these "saved views" folders along.

5 hours ago, markdd said:

You can put the text on a separate class, but in practice that doesn't seem to do anything with regard to visbility as the text is bound up with the attributes of the overall linetype when it is applied to a line.

It's a great idea though. Maybe an enhancement request?

Yes that is a common issue with most symbols, visibility is partly or wholly tied to the class/layer that the symbol definition is residing in.

It is similar in e.g. AutoCAD/DWG. As long as the main symbol definition is visible it should be possible to turn the subclass visibility on/off but turning off the visibility of the class/layer where the symbol definition resides turns everything invisible that is in the symbol definition. I know some people who went bonkers over this before realising that a symbol was not placed on the proper layer and would "magically disappear" when the residing layer got turned off and the symbol shouldn't have been in that layer in the first place.

It would be nice if there could be multiple classes within line styles as mentioned above for e.g. line and text. It would then be possible to disable text when needed and keep just the line. It would even be better if the text could be an overlay on the line so that when it is disabled there won't be ugly gaps.

• 6 months later...