Rotating 2D plan

Lottieedwards

Question

Hi, 

I am currently working on Vectorworks 2019 and really struggling to rotate the plan! I am working on elevations around the floor plan so want to be able to rotate all layers 90 degrees. Can anyone help? I have tried the 'Rotate Plan' button but when I click on the drawing I can't seem to set the centre rotation point?! Please help! 

Thanks 

18 answers to this question

The rotate plan button does no set a centre rotation point. Rather, it rotates the whole drawing from Top or Top/Plan. If you are working on a 3D side view as you suggest, then it would probably be better to create a working Plane which you can then rotate at will. Once the Working Plane is rotated, you can set that to be Active and then the quickest way to look at the working plane you have created is by clicking the "Look at Working Plane" button.

687581915_Screenshot2019-03-12at10_59_16.thumb.png.7e3592d2020f06325c1e111d4eb1044e.png

@markdd thank you for your response! I don't think I am working on a 3D side view, I attach my current settings. I want to rotate all of the floor plan including all layers. As I am working on elevations around the plan, I want to easily be able to rotate everything easily depending on which elevation I am working on. I hope this makes sense?

Screenshot 2019-03-12 at 11.07.20.png

Rather than risk breaking the file by rotating everything, and risk missing some bits, why don't you create a design layer viewport, with all the relevant bits switched on. Then you can rotate that viewport, rather than the gemoetry itself. Just thinking out loud

4 minutes ago, Lottieedwards said:

@markdd thank you for your response! I don't think I am working on a 3D side view, I attach my current settings. I want to rotate all of the floor plan including all layers. As I am working on elevations around the plan, I want to easily be able to rotate everything easily depending on which elevation I am working on. I hope this makes sense?

Screenshot 2019-03-12 at 11.07.20.png

Then the Rotate Plan button is going to be the answer. I don't really understand why you have a problem with it....

Click this button.

1578768028_Screenshot2019-03-12at11_27_02.thumb.png.2f9a51f08789cc1ef0a0d877670cd05a.png

You have it in the earlier screen shot you posted. That will rotate the plan.

@RussUis right to be cautious though as for a while it could be disruptive to the file when used over and over and some items got missed off the rotation. I think it is pretty stable now. However make sure you are keeping a couple of backups just in case.

As well as leaving things behind and going 50 steps further before noticing, as you add to the selection your centre of rotation will change, so over time things will creep around and it won't end up where you started after several full rotations. I think it's inviting hassle later on. A viewport can be sacrificial so once you've rotated to your hearts content, you can get rid of it, with all your original geometry un-touched...

That being said, do try @markddsuggestions of working planes with "look-at" working plane, as well as the rotate 2d view too. Maybe try to go to multi-view and have a different rotation in each...

As for that button, try typing a vaule in the box to it's right... say 30 or 45 for example. @Lottieedwards

Edited by RussU

Yes. I'm afraid so.

@RussUidea of creating a design layer viewport of the Plan geometry you are working around is great. You may need to make several, one for each view, but that seems easy enough. Once you have made the elevations you can group the geometry of each elevation together and then rotate the results.

aww man!, I've just looked and you're spot on. Sorry! @Lottieedwards

You could, I guess, make a 2d symbol of the entire layer, and use that in a new layer, rotatable. That would have a similar effect, when you modify the underlying layer the symbol will change too, but you'll have to double click each time to go into it which could be a pain.