Renderworks STILL rendering black box, et al

MHBrown

Question

In VW 2018 SP56 on an iMac, High-Sierra, late 2017

The well-known bug that causes Renderworks renderings to render black at random times (or sometimes white) has apparently been ignored by VW. As far as I can tell, this has been going on for around three years with zero action. This is not acceptable! I am NOT going to restart every time something new does not work with this software. My renderings work fine in OpenGL, but do not render with the Renderworks engine. When. Is. This. Going. To. Be. Fixed.? Really. I am NOT "upgrading" to a new set of problems with VW2019 until I have satisfaction that the old problems have been corrected. You can also add the disappearing wireframe when editing inside symbols and/or groups. This is NOT an issue with my file since it happens in many files. Please. I want to use this software, but it's continuing lack of stability is killing my productivity. When will these bugs be fixed?

MHBrown

• Like 2

5 answers to this question

Still very much an issue for me as well.  As somebody who primarily renders with lighting, I like to do test renders to do minor tweaks.  This process has become unsustainable as I need to restart after EVERY. SINGLE. BITMAP.  I recognize bugs are hard to fix, but it's been at least three years.  I've already started looking at other rendering platforms including Sketchup.  Not ideal to switch, but I cannot do my job...

Please tell me you all have a lead on this issue and will be fixing it in the next SP.  Please...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

As far as I have seen, there is one remaining black viewport issue in 2019 SP2 and that is related to the Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Edit > Default Compression setting being set to JPEG. Setting this to PNG should alleviate that particular problem if thats whats causing it, but in 2018 there were more unfixed causes.

I no longer get any black viewports or renders myself at all, however my issues stopped at 2019 SP1 and some others are still experiencing the one related to compression, which means as we suspected there was one symptom with multiple causes.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
Just now, Josh Schulman said:

I still get some white rendered results when I’m rendering viewports. I haven’t figured out why it is inconsistent. 

Solid white can be a few different things, if you restart Vectorworks and rerender and it works fine, then thats definitely a bug. However if you aren't actually getting white but just completely transparent and devoid of geometry on a white background, that might be something different. The next time that occurs, can you place a brightly colored rectangle or something like that behind the solid white viewport and tell me if you see the viewport as solid white or if there are portions that are just empty?

• Like 1