Error Log

• 2 weeks later...

I was sent this info from NNA a while back regarding crashes. It pertains to windows.

Built into your Windows operating system is a debugger called, Dr. Watson. This is used to collect information about your crash in two log files. The name of the log files are, "drwtsn32.log" and "user.dmp", found in your C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson. If you cannot locate the logs, you may have to modify your Windows folder options to, "Show hidden files and folders". If you are still not able to locate the files, a simple search should do the trick also.

To setup Dr. Watson, please do the following:

1-????Click the Start menu in the lower left of your screen, and then click Run.

2-????Type drwtsn32 to start Dr. Watson and then click OK.

3-????In the Dr. Watson dialog switch the Crash Dump Type to Full

4-????Make sure that following options are selected and click OK.

a.?????Dump Symbol Table

b.????Dump All Thread Contexts

c.?????Visual Notification.

d.????Create Crash Dump File

As a reminder, the path for the dump files are usually found in the following location:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson\user.dmp and drwtsn32.log

?

Now, in the event of a crash, at some point you will see a dialog titled, "Program Error" with a Cancel button. Do not press the Cancel button as the crash log is currently being generated in the background. The Cancel button will eventually turn into an OK button. At this point, its safe to click the OK button to close the dialog.

Here's the fun part. The, "User.dmp" file that's generated can potentially be a couple hundred megabytes in size. The, "drwtsn32.log" file will be much, much smaller. We need to somehow acquire these two files from you. The files can be , compressed and e-mailed, placed on an FTP site or burned to a CD and mailed to us. Depending on your connection speed, some of these options may not be feasible, in which we'll have to come up with another method for gathering your information.

If file size of the log file, proves to be a real problem, in the Dr. Watson dialog, where you set the Options, change the Crash Dump Type from, "Full" to "Mini". Although, keep in mind that the smaller crash log may not contain the pertinent information required for us to resolve the problem.

Delmer,

Thanks for the info.

I neglected to say that I am running VW on a Windows 2000 pc which may explain what I found.

Regarding the location of the files

I found drwtsn32.log (510 KB) and user.dmp (8.7 MB) in: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\DrWatson"

I.e. it was in the Documents folder/directory, not the the Application Data directory.

And the files have the date of the last time VW died on me.

Regarding setting Up Dr. Watson

I do not see a "Crash Dump Type" option when I start Dr. Watson, which may be due to my using windows 2000.

These are the items in its window:

• Log File Path: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\DrWatson
  • Crash Dump (file path): C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\DrWatson\user.dmp
  • Wave File (which is greyed out)
  • Number of Instructions (set to 10)
  • Number of Errors to Save (set to 10)
  • Options
  • Dump Symbol Table ( I have now checked it)
  • Dump All Thread Contents (was and is checked)
  • Append to Existing Log File (was checked, is not now)
  • Visual Notification (was and is checked)
  • Sound Notificaation (not checked before or now)
  • Create Crash Dump File (was and is checked)

[*]Application Errors: which listed some MS Word errors which I dont remember having

Thanks again for the pointers.