Creating Surface array

ericjms

Question

Hi Vectorworks hivemind,

I'm attempting to follow the Creating Surface Array video verbatim (making sure that I'm using 2D locus with 2D objects and 3D locus points with 3D objects this time) and I'm running into the "illegal extrude or sweep issue". I've created a dome 3D object and an extruded 2D object = no go. I've created a 2D sweep object for a surface with an extruded 2D object = no go.

It mentions that solids, sweeps, extrudes, meshes 3D polys and 2D objects are all considered viable array objects but I keep getting an error?

19 answers to this question

I've run into the exact same issue. The tutorial says for your arrays, you can use extrudes, nurbs, solids, meshes, 3D polys and 2D objects. I've made a simple extrude like he has in the tutorial, and used a hemisphere for my target surface. When I go to create a surface array, the "Previous" and "Next" button to select the array object is greyed out. It is also greyed out in the tutorial. No matter what I do, it treats the hemisphere as my array object which results in duplications of the hemisphere, not the array object. How do you use this properly? 

Robert, thanks - total Noob here. Appreciate your time. 

I'm having trouble making a Nurbs surface. I've made two Nurbs curves, intersected them and gone to "Create Surface From Curves" but it yielded with "Surface could not be created from curve network"

The tutorials have been good but I'm stuck on this one. Perhaps a step by step version of the tutorial would be helpful - I.e., make the the dome shape, make the Nurbs surface then use the Surface array tool. See the link below to see what I mean. When following the tutorials in order it doesn't give context to how to actually achieve this. 

I am having the same problem trying to follow the tutorial.  Every base object I try says it is an ivalid base object other than a 2D circle.  I created a dome using the sweep command as described above then tried Convert to NURBS but this said it was an invalid object so I could go no further.  I tried the Extract Surface Tool also but a surface wouldnot select.  ( One dome I tried became a Locked sweep but was still invalid as a base object).  This seems to be a persistant problem, can the tutorial be elaborated to show how to create the base object step by step?

• Like 2

@Benson Shaw  Thank you, that was really helpful.  I got it to work this time.  I am not quite sure what I was doing differently before.  I think it wasn't working because I was creating my dome from a closed profile shape (as in the Sweep tutorial) rather than an open curve.  Also the tutorial implies that 3D solids (such as domes made with the dome tool) can be used as base objects but it seems not and I hadn't got to NURBS surfaces in the tutorials yet.  Think I'm getting the hang of it now.  Thanks again

Edited by bekpalmer
  • Like 1

@Mark Aceto are you trying to make the edges with rectangular profiles?  

something to try:

Draw the triangular profile shape which fits your face intersection by connecting endpoints of the existing frame members (3d poly). Path can be 3d Poly connecting top and bottom points of the valley.  Run the EAP  with both Tangent and Fix Profile prefs. If desired, edit the profile to replace with rectangle or “L” or another shape. At least it will start in correct plane. 

-B

• Like 2

@Benson Shaw thanks. That's a streamlined few steps faster than doing 1 edge at a time.

This is my first time using Surface Array, so I'm assuming folks run into this edge limitation often. Unless anyone has a better idea (please!), it seems like the best overall solution is to create the two roof faces to achieve the mitered hip (and components with materials). Then, extract the bottom surfaces to create a surface array grid (the bottom of the hip will result in a conflicted mess of objects overlapping each other). Then, do do what you said to finish the edges. If the client changes the design, I"ll have to start the process all over again... 

As much as I want to keep the objects parametric for easy editing, it seems like basic modeling is the way to go. If anything, I might just use (parametric) structural members for the grid, and manually edit them as necessary (with each revision).

Edited by Mark Aceto
  • Like 1