ericjms

Creating Surface array

Question

Hi Vectorworks hivemind,

I'm attempting to follow the Creating Surface Array video verbatim (making sure that I'm using 2D locus with 2D objects and 3D locus points with 3D objects this time) and I'm running into the "illegal extrude or sweep issue". I've created a dome 3D object and an extruded 2D object = no go. I've created a 2D sweep object for a surface with an extruded 2D object = no go.

It mentions that solids, sweeps, extrudes, meshes 3D polys and 2D objects are all considered viable array objects but I keep getting an error?

15 answers to this question

the base object has to be a NURBS surface. select that.

the other objects can be extrudes, solid objects, etc. you will see a sublte difference between extrudes and solid objects.  select those

now create surface array. 

• Like 1

Through the video tutorials they mention how to make a NURBS curve but not a surface. I've attempted to create one with the push/pull tool?  I keep getting the same error.

I've run into the exact same issue. The tutorial says for your arrays, you can use extrudes, nurbs, solids, meshes, 3D polys and 2D objects. I've made a simple extrude like he has in the tutorial, and used a hemisphere for my target surface. When I go to create a surface array, the "Previous" and "Next" button to select the array object is greyed out. It is also greyed out in the tutorial. No matter what I do, it treats the hemisphere as my array object which results in duplications of the hemisphere, not the array object. How do you use this properly? 

Jon has it right. You need a NURBS surface for the base of the array. Use the Extract tool in surface mode to easily pull it from another shape.

Robert, thanks - total Noob here. Appreciate your time. 

I'm having trouble making a Nurbs surface. I've made two Nurbs curves, intersected them and gone to "Create Surface From Curves" but it yielded with "Surface could not be created from curve network"

The tutorials have been good but I'm stuck on this one. Perhaps a step by step version of the tutorial would be helpful - I.e., make the the dome shape, make the Nurbs surface then use the Surface array tool. See the link below to see what I mean. When following the tutorials in order it doesn't give context to how to actually achieve this. 

Usually, curves define the perimeter of a surface for the "create surface from curves" command. It sounds to me like you're wanting to create a lofted surface. Look up the topic "Create a loft surface" in the online help.

That doesn't seem quite like what I'm trying to do. 

All I'm trying to do is the tutorial that I linked above. 

1) Create some kind of dome

2) Apply a surface array to that dome

I am having the same problem trying to follow the tutorial.  Every base object I try says it is an ivalid base object other than a 2D circle.  I created a dome using the sweep command as described above then tried Convert to NURBS but this said it was an invalid object so I could go no further.  I tried the Extract Surface Tool also but a surface wouldnot select.  ( One dome I tried became a Locked sweep but was still invalid as a base object).  This seems to be a persistant problem, can the tutorial be elaborated to show how to create the base object step by step?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Benson Shaw  Thank you, that was really helpful.  I got it to work this time.  I am not quite sure what I was doing differently before.  I think it wasn't working because I was creating my dome from a closed profile shape (as in the Sweep tutorial) rather than an open curve.  Also the tutorial implies that 3D solids (such as domes made with the dome tool) can be used as base objects but it seems not and I hadn't got to NURBS surfaces in the tutorials yet.  Think I'm getting the hang of it now.  Thanks again

Edited by bekpalmer
  • Like 1

Now I fully understand this! @Benson Shaw good work. 

Worth mentioning that Surface Arrays are specifically covered in UNDERSTANDING THE APPLICATION OF 3D MODELING: PART 2 with Luis Ruiz in VWU around minute 40. Example files are included, and he takes you through Nurbs very nicely right before, as well. 

Side note: Would love to see a tutorial on how this was made - really cool:

image.thumb.png.16f7343bfcb4124c0b257e70481012b7.png

i bet @luis ruiz has a cool tute for this!

the basics look to me like an extruded square, deform twist, then surface arrays on the faces. extrude along path on the corner edges.

but, the devil’s in the details!

• Like 1