2D/3D SYMBOL

I am working in 2017 and create 2d/3d symbols but as I can't use them in a hidden line render (in plan view) to just show the outline of the symbol, I find it hard to think why they are useful except to keep the drawing clean on a layer plane.....or am I missing a trick

thanks

Edited by Phil hunt

In 2019 you can use them in Hidden Line.

For me, the beauty of them is when they're used in Top/Plan. That way you can keep Top/Plan views as simple or as busy as you like, whilst keeping the 3D geometry as "real" as possible. So a complicated 3d object can effectively be represented by a simple outline shape in Top/Plan.

• Like 1

I'm with Mark - I use them (for everything) in Top Plan view - not a hidden line render of the plan view.  So you can have complicated 3D and control the simplicity or graphic nature of the 2D in a more useful way.  See attached.  Plan section and elevation all made from the same model. Everything is a hybrid.

op1+01-plan.jpg

op1+02-section.jpg

op1+03-front+elevation.jpg

• Like 1

Yes. If the viewport is from a Top/Plan view then yes. However, If you have classed all your objects thoroughly, then there is no reason why you shouldn't use multiple sheet layer viewports on top of each other with different render styles. A combination of Top/Plan for your hybrid symbols and maybe a hidden line rendered viewport underneath for the stuff that's just 3D.