Transferring BIM data from one object to another?

Wha's the quickest way to transfer IFC data from one object to another?

Say for instance I download this object:

https://www.nationalbimlibrary.com/en-gb/rockwool/sp-60-firestop-slab/?lo=en-GB

The Vectorworks file comes with a Wall object with all the relevant data attached, which is fine as these fire-stops can be installed vertically, but they can also be installed horizontally, so I need a Slab object with all the data attached too.

Is my only option to manually copy and paste all the data across to a Slab object? 

Good thought. After a little experimenting I've noticed that most of the IFC data is attached via Record Format. There is a small amount of IFC data that the eyedropper tool can transfer but mostly classification data that is better done manually.

The Record Format on the other hand can be attached to the Slab by clicking on Attach Record in the Data tab of the OIP. But hardly any of the data is applied to the Slab. Here's the original Wall object data and the result of attaching the same Record Format to a Slab object.

1851283255_Screenshot2019-03-07at11_49_19.thumb.png.380780123d52e073070ebc58933d2ba7.png1521808986_Screenshot2019-03-07at11_49_33.thumb.png.853eda2710b70d1000e46828be3d205c.png

Edited by Christiaan
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Christiaan,

I'm not running into the same issues that you are having. You may want to double check that you have selected both "Record" and "IFC Data" in your Eyedropper Tool settings. I've attached my results below. 

However, please be aware that if you transfer data using this method your object's IFC entity will change to the selected object's entity and, in the case of your experiment, no longer be accurate (i.e. from "IfcSlab" to "IfcWallStandardCase").

Hope this helps,

Mariam

Eyedropper Tool.png

Wall 1_of_2.pngWall 2_of_2.pngSlab 1_of_2.pngSlab 2_of_2.png

• Like 1