patriciamayme

Auto-populate dimensions for lights like a hoist can

Question

I wish that there was a way to auto-populate the X and Y of a fixture the way that the hoist symbols work. It would make populating my truss tape information faster. 

Right now, the way that I manage is setting the user origin to the end of the truss and then putting the X distance information into a user space on the object info. If it could auto populate and you could have each position reference a different origin (just like you can have multiple origins with the hoists) that would save me so much time.

Maybe this already exists and I just don't know how to do it?

Thanks!

1 answer to this question

Hi Patricia,

While we have no auto-dimensioning feature for Lighting Devices as of yet, we have the Dimension Tape object which works by drawing a base line and then there is a Context menu command (right-click on the Dimension tape object and choose 'Add Specific Marker') that makes it a simple 2-click process to add a neat and clean perpendicular label. If you use the Workspace editor you can give a keyboard shortcut to the 'Add Specific Marker' command which may make it faster for you.

VWHelp for this tool is here:

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2019/eng/index.htm#t=VW2019_Guide%2FAnnotation%2FPlacing_a_Dimension_Tape.htm&rhsearch=dimension tape object&rhhlterm=dimension tape object&rhsyns=

Autoplot has an auto dimension feature in their command set: http://www.autoplotvw.com/

Scott Parker has a youtube on Sam Jones' Auto dimension command here.