Dimensioning Problem. Vectorworks 2017

graciapaige

Question

I have been trying to use any tool that requires specific dimensions and once I type in the dimensions I need the object to be, it reverts to whatever random length/width I drew it as so I have the ability to input the dimensions. When I draw the object then try to input the proper dimensions in the Object Info palette, it doesn't even recognize that I'm typing. I tried shutting down the program then reopening it and that did nothing.
I used the program two days ago and it was fine, and I haven't changed anything since and now its being all strange. 

Any suggestions?

1 answer to this question

@graciapaige Welcome to the forum!

Explain a bit more if you didn't get things working. 

What objects are you creating? Basic palette? eg rectangle, circle, etc? 3d Palette (cones, spheres, etc).  Parametric objects (Walls, windows, plants, lighting devices, etc).

Open a new, blank drawing for testing and paste in a problem object from the original drawing.  If you cannot make the object behave properly in the test file, post the test file here.

You probably already have all this down, but here are some basics to outline the process for most objects. Sorry - takes lotsa words to outline these quick steps.:

1.  During object creation using the floating data bar (appears at the cursor when you press the Tab key).  The usual sequence is:

•Click the 1st point of the object on the drawing area

• If floating data bar is not active, press Tab key to activate it.

• Press Tab again to highlight the 1st data field. (or press Tab repeatedly until desired data field is highlighted)

• Key in the 1st dimension.

• Press Tab again to accept the data and exit 1st data field.

This locks this axis of the object to 1st data value and also highlights next data field

• Now choices:

A. Drag to adjust the other axes. Other visible data fields update during the drag.

When satisfied click to create the object.

B. Key in data to the highlighted data field. Press Tab to accept and highlight next data field.

C. To create the object: Click on the drawing area   or     press Return twice (Mac) or Enter twice (Windows)

2. Edit object after creation using OIP (eg a rectangle):

• Create the object via click, drag, click in the drawing area. It will appear highlighted (selected) in the drawing area) . . .

OR

• Activate the Selection tool and single click the object on the drawing area.

OIP displays width, height, x/y position, rotation values of the selected rectangle (different values for other objects).

• Click in a data field. An entry bar appears (some call this a cursor), or dbl click to highlight the current value in the data field.

• Adjust or replace the existing value in this data field. Note that vwx data fields can do arithmetic  + _ * /

• Press Tab to accept and move to next data field, or click in other data field to adjust.   

OR

• To accept the values and leave the edit process: Press Return, or click in the drawing area.

HTH

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw