Display Flashing and Changing Colours

AnaRF

Question

I've just purchased a new laptop (HP Spectre x360) and have suddenly encountered a problem that with Vectorworks that I have not experienced on my previous machines (despite this one being much better and having a far better display/screen resolution). The screen, seemingly without reason, started flashing and changing colour. This is only on the area of the screen that is used for drawing- the surrounding control panels and palettes are unaffected. And equally, it is fine when I minimise the window or switch windows. I am attaching some videos of the problem to this post. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I am using Vectorworks 2019.

12 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 minute ago, AnaRF said:

It looks like your machine has two graphics cards, an integrated Intel model which is currently active, and a Radeon RX which is not being used. Normally there is a Crimson or Catalyst control panel accompanying Radeon RX cards, in there you should find settings that allow you to enable the dedicated/high power graphics card. Apologies, on AMD products this menu can change and I am not exactly sure where the switch for it may be. HPs website may also list steps for how to do this on that machine specifically.

23 minutes ago, bcd said:

Change the VW>Preferences>Display>Navigation Graphics to Best Compatibility.

This should help in the meantime until you can switch to the other card, then you can put this back to Best Performance.

• Like 1

I'm also having this exact same issue in a drawing on my new laptop.

I have an Intel UHD Graphics 620 card. the file I'm working on is a small 3D house, the file size is currently at 26mb. Today is so much worse then it was yesterday as I could close the document, re-open and the flashing would stop for a least a couple of hours. Today its flashing as soon as I flyover the model even after closing and re-opening multiple times.I have a few external wall textures in the drawing but nothing too elaborate.

Its impossible to work on it when its doing that so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've attached my DxDiag too @PVA - Jim if there is any chance you could take a look? 

Thanks

DxDiag.txt

Guest Alex Sagatov

@turnerhoskins The issue shown in the original videos is caused by a graphics card issue. At least for the original post, the issue was (likely) caused because their Vectorworks was launching with the Intel card as opposed to their AMD card.

In your case, it appears your machine only has the Intel 620. There are a few things we can try that might assist with this issue though:

1) The Graphics Drivers currently installed are from 2018. You could try updating to the latest drivers.

2) In Vectorworks, you can try going to Tools > Options > Vectorworks Preferences > Display > Navigation graphics - Set to Best Compatibility.

3) From your diagnostic file, it appears you are running two displays. I would try disconnecting the second display and seeing if it works with a single display.

Looking online, it appears the model of laptop has an optional AMD graphics card. Did you get a model with the AMD card? (I don't see one listed in the diagnostic)

I am having the same issue. 

I tried updating the graphic card drivers for the Intel UHD Grpahics 620 and the NVIDIA GeForce MX150, disconnecting the external monitor, and switching to "Best Compatibility" in the Navigation Graphics.  None of these fixed the issue.  This issue, for me, started as soon as I switched over to Vectorworks 2019, I never saw this issue in 2018.

I've attached my DxDiag to this post as well.

The only thing I can do to temporarily fix the issue is to click on the small Minimize / Maximize Window square in the far upper right hand of the VV GUI.

Any guesses as to what's new in VV2019 that causes this?

On 2/26/2019 at 4:51 AM, AnaRF said:

I've just purchased a new laptop (HP Spectre x360) and have suddenly encountered a problem that with Vectorworks that I have not experienced on my previous machines (despite this one being much better and having a far better display/screen resolution). The screen, seemingly without reason, started flashing and changing colour. This is only on the area of the screen that is used for drawing- the surrounding control panels and palettes are unaffected. And equally, it is fine when I minimise the window or switch windows. I am attaching some videos of the problem to this post. 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I am using Vectorworks 2019.

DxDiag.txt

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @adim@proxyAV.com,

Something you haven't mentioned you've tried is setting up an "application profile" within the NVIDIA Control Panel.

Open up the NVIDIA Control Panel (right click on desktop >NVIDIA Control Panel) > Manage 3D settings > Program Setings > Add > select Vectorworks 2019 > Add Selected Program > Apply.