Create Wall from Objects

Hello Forum, newbie to VW so hopefully a simple solution :☺️

I often receive architects drawings (both DWG & PDF) where I only need the perimter of the room as my starting point. So I;m drawing over using the polyline tool and rectangle tool. A lot of the walls are different thicknesses etc. I was trying the Create Objects From Shapes command, but it is offsetting the polysurfaces I'm choosing. Is there a way to efficiently trace over the architects drawings and convert/modify to walls ? 

VW Wall.PNG

You should be able to snap to the imported lines while using the wall tool. This is true even with an imported PDF as long as the PDF is created in vector software. If you can snap to the imported geometry then tracing goes quickly. In our office we identify the various wall thicknesses that are present and create VW wall styles to match. If you don't already do this, become fluent at creating and editing wall styles since they are much more versatile than extruded polygons.

Ed

• Like 1

@EJW thanks for chipping in Ed, yes I can import dwg & PDF fine, change to correct scale etc. it's more the getting the walls to the correct thickness, as mentioned I can have 4 walls in room type that all have a different thickness. To be honest, I don't even need to indicate what type of wall they are, I'll try the editing wall styles, cheers for the tip 👍

A "Quick & Dirty" way to create a new wall type is to take a wall & change it to an Unstyled wall in the Object Info Pallet (OIP) then edit the Components so the wall is the correct thickness. If you right click on the wall you can choose to make this a new wall type. You can change walls to the style you'd like using the eyedropper tool.

• Like 1