Vectorworks Nomad support for larger files

Christiaan

Question

I'd like to be able to use Nomad but it's often not capable of coping with our building models. They're just too big.

I look at Twinmotion (which uses Unreal engine) and Archicad's BIMx and wonder why we appear to be so limited with Nomad.

Edited by Christiaan
Generalised from AR to Nomad itself
  • Like 2

6 answers to this question

@Christiaan just tried the Nomad app on my android device, pretty useless to be honest, app crashes every time using the AR viewer. And viewing the 3d model is ok, except when you click the set view button it puts the model on some strange axis, really bad app as it is right now, hope to see work put into this and improved, so much potential for showing clients quick 3d snippets of work 🤔 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks for your feedback! We are looking into the possible ways we can make Nomad handle large files. In the meantime, I'd like to offer some tips that you can use to reduce the file size of your models, so they can be handled by Nomad.

- Try decreasing the polygon count. Round stair handrails and guardrails have high poly counts. 

- Use the Simplify mesh command

- Export less objects to the .vgx file by making layers and classes invisible. 

- Use the clip cube to control which parts of the model are exported.

- Use lower export quality setting in the Export Web View dialog - affects curved surfaces and quality of textures.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, milezee said:

@Christiaan just tried the Nomad app on my android device, pretty useless to be honest, app crashes every time using the AR viewer. And viewing the 3d model is ok, except when you click the set view button it puts the model on some strange axis, really bad app as it is right now, hope to see work put into this and improved, so much potential for showing clients quick 3d snippets of work 🤔 

How big is your original file. I work in iOS, but I gather everything is the same. I've had minimal issues with the AR and the Panorama, and my issues were operator errors.

• Like 1