11.5 known problems

I want to try to have one place to view all the known problems with the new 11.5 so please contribute:

so far i know of:

1. when cutting a 3d section the walls get triangulated making the section all but useless.

2. the "add text to database" feature does not work with callout text. (the main reason for the text database is for callout text)

3. convert to polygon tool does not seam to have any real impovement you still get way to many objects

4. the offset tool still does not work on complex shapes (even though they say it should now)

Section cutting should be no different in VW 11.5 than it was in 11.0.

When you say triangulated, can you clarify, or send a sample file?

I am not having problems uses the "Add text to database" feature. Selecting a callout will not work because it's not a text object - it's a callout object.

Two options - ungroup the callout, select the text block and run the command.

OR

Select the callout object, click on Edit Note in the OIP, copy the text, paste it in the drawing.

The appropriate step to take in adding callout objects to the database is to use the Reconcile Notes menu - right below add text to database.

Convert to polygon should produce almost have the objects if you are using hidden line rendering thanks to the Hidden Line Backface Culling advancement. If you don't use the hidden line rendering option, then you will get the same number of objects as you have in the past.

The object you are using with the offset - can you send a file with that type of object?

The offset tool handles many more complex objects that it couldn't handle in the past. There may still be objects that are geometrically impossible to offset.

triagulation is when a 3d object conects all verticies that do not form a tru planer triangel. example a square after being tragulated would have opposit corners conected with a line to form two triangles .

so when a section is cut the wall objects triagulate themselves. i did not upgrade two of our computers and tryed cutting the section on 11.01 and it had no triangulations. i will send a file.

as for the offset if i offset beizer polyline it fails to produce a true offset it makes a totaly difernt shape

Can you send files showing all these problems?

The problem with rendering stopping 1/2 way through - do you get an error message?

What version of QT do you have installed?

Heres something I just ran across today. I had to trace a bitmap in 11 the other week and it worked fine. Today I had to trace another bitmap and it would not work in 11.5. It would go through the process, but the results were way off. It was also much much slower.I went to another computer that has not been updated yet and it traced the image without any problems in less than half the time. Both of these computer systems are set up the same. The only difference was the update.

as for the convert to polygon i use it to turn 3d section cuts to 2d section cut and have it on hidden line mode and it still produces an large amount of polygon's. you said you have added backface culling but there are still a ton of objects behind objects and true backfaceculling would eliminate the objects. also the fill polygons on wall i have notices are also triangulated s i have a ton of white triangle fills instead of a nice neat object

I just upgraded to 11.5 and am having a problem getting roof textures to map perpenduclar to the roof eave. Has anyone else experienced this issue? I am working on a file created in 11.1. Only new roofs are affected. Existing roofs remain with the roof texture mapped perpenduclar to the eaves.

I just tested a new file created in 11.5 and the results are the same; roof texture does not map perpenduclar to eaves.

When returning to a saved view of a model in 11.1 + 11.5, the program asks if you would like to re-render in wireframe or render mode (this is actually a renderworks problem), if you choose wireframe, it goes ahead and renders it anyway. This worked properly in version 10.

TO ANDROID (ANY ANY ONE WITH OTHER MINOR PROBLEMS)

i noticed that when i upgraded one of my MAC's to 11.5 that there were some programs running (address book, mail, and ical) what had happened is that 11.5 got messed up when installed and had problems like buttons missing and things like that.

to fix it i just reinstalled 11.01 and ran the 11.5 again making sure NO PROGRAMS were open. this is usually not an issue with macs only PC's but it solved all the problems

dual G5 2.5, ATI 256mb Vcard

Twin 21" flatpanels

OSX 11.3.8

quote:

Originally posted by cerver:

1. when cutting a 3d section the walls get triangulated making the section all but useless.

True, but for what it's worth, the upside is that non-cut models in ortho view will convert to a single set of line segments for simple wall openings. Previously (VW8 to VW11.01), window and door wall symbols made with simple, filled, 3D polygons converted to two sets of lines, which I've always thought was a glitch, and obviously more time-consuming to edit.

quote:

Previously I commented:

quote:

Originally posted by cerver:

True, but for what it's worth, the upside is that non-cut models in ortho view will convert to a
single
set of line segments for simple wall openings. Previously (VW8 to VW11.01), window and door wall symbols made with simple, filled, 3D polygons converted to two sets of lines, which I've always thought was a glitch, and obviously more time-consuming to edit.

Upon further usage, I must add that non-cut models in orth view is NOT converting to lines as cleanly as before (MC7?). Although the one set of lines is welcomed, there now appear these extraneous line segments from what could be the "triagulated wall sections" mentioned above, which have to be individually selected and deleted.

What gives? Two steps forward, two steps back?

Just an observation here.

While I haven't experienced some of the problems others are speaking of, I have noticed VW11.5 seems to unstable, my program has abruptly quit on me more in the 2 weeks since I upgraded, than it did in the year of using vw11 prior.

another error:

a lot of my files were created in 10 then upgraded to 11 with not much problems. now all the files that were started in 10 then moved to 11 and now 11.5 have a serious viewport issue. when a viewport is moved the text in the annotation layer becomes extremely large and i have to go into the annotation layer and reset it to the size i want it.

Modifying a Roof errors, If you go to edit roof, Paste your clipping object, hold shift down to select the Roof Surface, You have to drag a Marq over the roof area (you just clicked the roof in version 11.0.1) then choose Clip surface, you get an error message saying illegal object selected.Then exit Group, the area has been clipped. In 11.0.1 You just had to shift click the roof plane you were clipping, no error message in 11.0.1.

Additionally, very very slow w/ text and Dimensions.

Reverted back to 11.0.1 much faster and more stable.