Windows BIM importing in at the wrong class

AlexandraS

Hi,

I have created a window plug-in style and assigned ALL components of the window that I could find to a specific class. However, when importing that window from resource file into the model, it imports it at a different class (not the one I assigned) every time. 

Has anyone dealt with this before?

• 1 year later...

Hi Alexandra, did You find the reason?

I came across the same problem today. Assigned all window style components to my class I want them to be, so I do not need to think, which actual class I have active when inserting them. But they always take over the class of wall in which I insert them. Weird behavior indeed. Standard library windows still works fine 😮

Not sure if I get the problem right.

I also assign Classes to any Windows component to have better control.

These Classes should import well when you add a external resource to your file.

But there is also the overall Window that you will place into a Wall.

That overall Window can have assigned a totally different Class.

Similar to a Symbol or a Group.

Beside that you can predefine a Class for Symbols when placed in File,

which you can't set pre-set for a PIO.

PIOs will be placed into the "active" Class.

I always use separate "Container Classes" for Symbols, Windows, Doors,Walls, .....

so I can better control visibility and switch them off as a whole.

Hey Zoomer, thanks for answering.

I will explain more...

STANDARD default windows/doors classes behaviour:

when creating they are placed on active class, some parts are placed in special classes based on PIO setting - no problem here

MY PLANNED WORKFLOW:

I set window or door setting as I need, then set my classes for all possible parts of this object (none is left with <window class> default). Save this as style for window object. Now every part of window has its class which it should go to. I assumed that I do not have to worry about active class when inserting this object and it will go to classes specified in setting (or create them, if do not exist). Do I get this right?

Today I tried this approach, but then when I inserted this object into wall, it was created in class which was the wall itself. Active class was different and all the PIO setting classes was different 😆 I don't get it 🤨

The window should not be in the walls class at all. It was not active, neither one of PIO settings classes... 

Then I found out that other object went to this stubborn (wall) class as well, even if it was not inserted into wall at all. 

I have to try in different and empty file to know if it was not only some bug related to file itself. Or maybe I am still missing some part of this whole VW classes, PIOs settings workflow 😄