Why is object appearing in wrong position in section VP?

line-weight

Question

I can't work out what's going on here. The attached file has a wall object, and three 'grid plane' objects (these are groups containing 3d polygons). The wall should be positioned with its outer face aligned with the vertical grid plane, and its top and bottom aligned with the horizontal grid planes. When viewed in wireframe, all seems to be ok. But in section it seems to be misaligned by 1mm in each direction...why?

(You can use the saved views in the file to see this)

1362981661_ScreenShot2019-02-20at08_58_10.thumb.jpg.3af4d2e9b588b45098423d50aec36c58.jpg1613311359_ScreenShot2019-02-20at08_58_30.thumb.jpg.77ed1ed694ef51b79c737dbb5a502204.jpg

VWalignment.vwx

3 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @line-weight,

I played around with this and also see the problem. Here are a few things I noticed:

In Vectorworks 2018, the further out your zoom level, the larger the displacement of the objects when updating the viewport. The displacement is much less in Vectorworks 2019 and the zoom level has no effect. I'll submit a bug with your file.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Matt Panzer said:

Hi @line-weight,

I played around with this and also see the problem. Here are a few things I noticed:

In Vectorworks 2018, the further out your zoom level, the larger the displacement of the objects when updating the viewport. The displacement is much less in Vectorworks 2019 and the zoom level has no effect. I'll submit a bug with your file.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

I see what you mean; the zoom level affects the displacement. That is weird.

NB that it's not just a 'screen display' thing - the error is reproduced if you export as PDF.

This kind of thing makes me feel a bit nervous because I thought I could trust dimensions added in the annotations layer to be accurate - but in this case it's possible to snap a dimension to one of the planar objects and to one of the non-planar objects, which are in fact in the exact same location in the model, but in the annotation layer it will produce a dimension between them.

By the way, is this connected to the thing where planar and non-planar objects are often not aligned when working in OpenGL view?