MTRobin

Find and Replace Anything

Question

Hi Everyone,

I know in Spotlight I am able to find and modify or replace instruments, but I am unable to do either of these tasks with regular symbols, which is something I do often. I also find that if I have lighting devices within groups they will not be replaced by either of the spotlight tools. I was hoping all of these features could be added.

Thank you

Maxwell

8 answers to this question

I am in a similar situation where I have a hanging position that automatically adds -1 to the end of the position name, supposedly because there is another object in the drawing that already has that name, but I can't figure out where that object is.

Hey Max,

For regular symbols, will the Select Similar Tool help? It's in the Basic toolset and looks like a magic wand.

For Find And Modify, try using the "Replace them with this symbol". It worked for me ( 2019 SP2 on Windows 10) successfully replacing Lighting Devices that were grouped as well as ungrouped.. 

Replace them with this symbol.PNG

Hey Allan,

I am trying to replace symbols that are not lighting devices.

The magic wand won't work if my symbols are within separate groups or symbols. I really need a global find and replace. 

5 minutes ago, MTRobin said:

Hey Allan,

I am trying to replace symbols that are not lighting devices.

The magic wand won't work if my symbols are within separate groups or symbols. I really need a global find and replace. 

You could try custom selection,  under the tools menu.  Then once the items are selected you can replace them with a different symbol.   It should look in groups/symbols.

image.thumb.png.67d31bce5ad923d0982ae9069664ea75.png

Edited by Wesley Burrows

Custom Selection and Custom Modification would work if they had a checkbox for symbols. I have found that they will only work for grouped items, but not symbols.

1 minute ago, MTRobin said:

Custom Selection and Custom Modification would work if they had a checkbox for symbols. I have found that they will only work for grouped items, but not symbols.

I'm probably misunderstanding,   but checking that box under criteria should do it.

image.thumb.png.9cd2a732fda9b6a0e8de04111c835d43.png

Create a symbol in a blank document.

Duplicate it so you have 5 instances of it.

From left to right- leave the first one as is. Make the second and third a group. Make the fourth and fifth a symbol.

Now using Custom Selection set it up as Symbol is [your symbol name]

Click ok

It will only select the item that is not within a group or symbol.

See photos attached.

Criteria.JPG

Selection.JPG

Symbols.JPG