"Layers from selection not found" Error

Chris L

Question

Hello,

I've created a custom title block and have included it on multiple sheet layers to use as a drawing template. The title block and data links function properly in the title block manager, however, when I close or reopen this document, I receive the following error- "Layers from Selection Not Found".

I click "OK" and then use the "Select Sheets to Use" option to fix this error for the duration of the session. Is there a permanant fix for this? It's a bit tedious every time I or anyone I share this drawing with have make edits in the Title Block Manager. 

Additional Info:

I've tried saving the title as a new plugin style and as an Unstyled Title Block. Same issue regardless of style type.

Custom title blocks are visible / available in the files Resource Manager.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 6.31.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-19 at 6.48.32 AM.png

Edited by Chris L
Added Image
  • Like 1

15 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Chris L,

Could you tell me what are the exact steps to reproduce this? Are the not found sheets from the active file or from external file? Have you renamed any of the sheets between the openings of the Manager?

@Svinder Singh Sidhu,

Could you send me a simple test file and tell me the steps to reproduce the problem with Issue/Revision data not being applied?

Thanks,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Hi Nikolay,

I'm not sure of the exact steps to recreate the problem. I had been revising the drawings generally, and took a look at the sheets to see if they looked ok, to discover the project info was not being displayed as it is now. I ended up deleting the 'broken' title borders from the sheets (as I couldn't get them to display the project info which had not been edited since I set up the drawing, and was also being displayed in the title block manager) and placed the same sheet border again. This did not fix the revision/issue problem, but the project data was being displayed.

Thanks

107 Production 190221.vwx

@Svinder Singh Sidhu

I have taken a look at your test file and the main problem that I see is that you have Title Block Border object inside the layout of another Title Block Border object, which is not recommended at all. You should simply put text block objects in the layout and link them to the title block data.

If you have difficulties creating the layout, you could import any of the TBB Styles from the default content and use it as a template.

Let me know if you still have any issues after using simple text block objects for the layout.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

On 2/26/2019 at 7:01 AM, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

@Svinder Singh Sidhu

I have taken a look at your test file and the main problem that I see is that you have Title Block Border object inside the layout of another Title Block Border object, which is not recommended at all. You should simply put text block objects in the layout and link them to the title block data.

If you have difficulties creating the layout, you could import any of the TBB Styles from the default content and use it as a template.

Let me know if you still have any issues after using simple text block objects for the layout.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov , could you elaborate on this a little please? I'm having the same issue but i'm not sure what you mean by "you have Title Block Border object inside the layout of another Title Block Border object, which is not recommended at all. You should simply put text block objects in the layout and link them to the title block data."

We have at title block border that contains only 'text in title block' objects and some lines. The file is converted from VW2016 and we've made a new title block rather than convert the old one. The new titleblock is on all the sheets in the drawing - sadly the sheet titles were lost during this process though and now all have the same name!

TEST FILE_TBB.vwx

Edited by _James
tag name

Hello @_James,

6 minutes ago, _James said:

Nikolay, could you elaborate on this a little please? I'm having the same issue but i'm not sure what you mean by "you have Title Block Border object inside the layout of another Title Block Border object, which is not recommended at all. You should simply put text block objects in the layout and link them to the title block data."

- This was specifically for Svinder. I do not see this in the file you have attached.

As for the losing of Sheet Titles, could you attach the initial v2016 file that you started with so that I could try to reproduce the losing of Sheet Titles and see what has caused it?

I see nothing wrong in your Title Block and that is why I am not sure what could have caused the losing of Sheet Titles.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Version 2016 file attached - although it's not really the problem i'm trying to solve. 086.300_2016.vwx

But my workflow for this happening was:

- Open 2016 file in 2019 and convert

- Convert 'old' title block to new one

- Open title block manager and batch change title block by selecting all sheets to use and selecting different style at the top of the window to our newly made title block (completely made from scratch in 2019)

@_James,

Maybe you do not have the desired layers selected? Try this:

1) Open Title Block Manager

2) Open Select Sheets to Use and select the files and layers you wish to work with from the TBManager

3) Close the Manager with OK to save the selection change

4) Open the Manager again and you should not see this dialog unless you have renamed/deleted any of the layers/files from the selection

3 minutes ago, _James said:

Version 2016 file attached - although it's not really the problem i'm trying to solve. 086.300_2016.vwx

But my workflow for this happening was:

- Open 2016 file in 2019 and convert

- Convert 'old' title block to new one

- Open title block manager and batch change title block by selecting all sheets to use and selecting different style at the top of the window to our newly made title block (completely made from scratch in 2019)

I am not able to reproduce this in VW2019 Service Pack 3. Which service pack of VW2019 are you using?

1 minute ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

I am not able to reproduce this in VW2019 Service Pack 3. Which service pack of VW2019 are you using?

Service Pack 3 also - strange! I am going to try and replicate it again. When prompted with a resource name confilct "Title block sheet data" do you replace the format or merge formats?

5 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

@_James,

Maybe you do not have the desired layers selected? Try this:

1) Open Title Block Manager

2) Open Select Sheets to Use and select the files and layers you wish to work with from the TBManager

3) Close the Manager with OK to save the selection change

4) Open the Manager again and you should not see this dialog unless you have renamed/deleted any of the layers/files from the selection

This works (thank you!) but when I close the file and VW and reopen, I have to do the same thing again. Will I have to do this every time I open the file or is something still wrong?

Just now, _James said:

Service Pack 3 also - strange! I am going to try and replicate it again. When prompted with a resource name confilct "Title block sheet data" do you replace the format or merge formats?

- merge is recommended

Just now, _James said:

Will I have to do this every time I open the file or is something still wrong?

- This should not be the case. If I manage to reproduce this I will be able to see what is causing this, but without being able to reproduce it, I am not sure what could be causing it.

2 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- merge is recommended

Great - that sorted it out! All sheet layers have kept their names now.

7 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- This should not be the case. If I manage to reproduce this I will be able to see what is causing this, but without being able to reproduce it, I am not sure what could be causing it.

Sadly this still persists - not the end of the world but it's quite annoying.