Stairs with no section fill in Clip Cube Viewports

Christiaan

Question

Edit: known issue, see this thread: https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/51938-clip-cube-voids-at-overlapping-solids/#comment-290704

How do I fix this?

I'm trying out Clip Cube Viewports for the first time. This bug has been around for years and my usual workaround in Section Viewports was to mask over it in the Annotations Layer, but that ain't gonna work so well in OpenGL 3D.

Screenshot 2019-02-19 at 09.52.29.png

Edited by Christiaan

12 answers to this question

Are you saying the simple stair is legacy and the (newer) stair tool is the one which doesn't show solid? I abandoned the newer stair tool some time ago being much happier in legacy-luddite land! I love the visualization of the clip cube tool especially as you can also do cut throughs in perspective. I have to say we used to issue 3-4 versions of our planning drawings (x8 dwgs) (x35 jobs a year)  but now we only have to issue 2 versions as the clients "get" the space almost immediately. It saves soooo much time and is a pleasure to work with. This advanced feature was introduced in 2019 so credit where credit is due!  I give you the 4 storey Richmond beast! 

image.png

6 minutes ago, David S said:

Are you saying the simple stair is legacy and the (newer) stair tool is the one which doesn't show solid?

Yeah I think that's what's happening there. Unfortunately the Custom Stair just is capable of creating the stairs we typically need to design for blocks of flats, etc.

Clip Cube viewports really are great visualisation tool. So much more information in than traditional drawings.

16 hours ago, David S said:

Are you saying the simple stair is legacy and the (newer) stair tool is the one which doesn't show solid? I abandoned the newer stair tool some time ago being much happier in legacy-luddite land! I love the visualization of the clip cube tool especially as you can also do cut throughs in perspective. I have to say we used to issue 3-4 versions of our planning drawings (x8 dwgs) (x35 jobs a year)  but now we only have to issue 2 versions as the clients "get" the space almost immediately. It saves soooo much time and is a pleasure to work with. This advanced feature was introduced in 2019 so credit where credit is due!  I give you the 4 storey Richmond beast! 

image.png

Is that openGL or RW?

(Does rendering a section in RW now provide solid fill rather than hollow solids - which has been a pain for a while?)

5 minutes ago, David S said:

@lineweight this was done in RW using a standard create viewport from a clip cubed perspective view cheers D

Ok, good to know that at least that's fixed in 2019. I'm still on 2018 and have recently done some similar sectional renderings, is incredibly painful process to get a solid section fill, requiring multiple viewports etc.