Section / Elevation Settings

Hi,

I need help on 3d elements appearance settings.

I have created an elevation sheet using section viewport. The problem is the elements appearance cannot be override by changing the classes attributes.

It works fine on 2d elements/annotations but not on 3d elements ie: wall, door, curtain wall etc. Only line color will be override but not the fill.

I choose 'Hidden Line' for the Background Render (Extents beyond Cut Plane) option in OIP.

Need this so all elements are differentiate by color / pattern.

Thanks,

Edited by Acip79

In hidden line solid fills are white. If the objects have a render texture and the texture has a hatch associated with it then you can set the hidden line VP to show the hatches on those objects. 

You coukd try opengl render which which will show objects with either a solid fills or a render texture. 

This is one of those ultra-confusing parts of VW. A while back I had to draw up a table for myself to understand and remember what effect all the different settings/render modes have.

To me at least, many of the names of the various settings convey little, or something misleading, about what effect those settings have. For example, to show a RW texture in an OpenGL view you have to have 'use colours' and 'use textures' both on. If you set just 'use textures' on, you don't see the textures. How can that make any sense to anyone? The whole thing is a mess.

2001495138_ScreenShot2019-02-19at09_10_54.thumb.jpg.3a3e7ca4201dd4bc4a2c92a5a2f20adf.jpg

Edited by line-weight

With, for example, walls, you need to decide whether the texture is applied by component or by object.

I prefer to work by component but let's say you do it by object, which is slightly less complicated, and you want the wall face to appear in elevation with a brick-pattern hatch, then you need to:

1. In the wall object OIP, under render tab, set Mode = By Object

2. Set Texture = Texture, and choose a texture. In my screenshot it's set to a wood panel one.

3. Edit that Renderworks texture from the Resorce Browser, and set the 'surface hatch' to your brick pattern hatch.

4. Now in the settings for your elevation or section viewport, go to 'background render settings' and enable 'display surface hatches'.

Now hopefully the face of that wall object will appear in elevation with that hatch.

(Unless I have forgotten some other intermediate step which is quite possible)

1794200341_ScreenShot2019-02-19at10_45_54.thumb.jpg.52671b52e41cdedfca548560a79f7f80.jpg

As I said above I prefer to do this by component, and by class. Therefore to get the same result, I define each wall component by class, and each class has a RW texture associated with it. Then I set Mode = by component, and the wall face would take on a hatch according to what the surface hatch is, in the RW texture that is associated with the class which is associated with the component which is associated with whatever wall face is in view in elevation. Does that sound confusing? Well, it is! I got there in the end though.

• Like 1

Thanks @line-weight ,

I do prefer working by components & classes, the setup will be a bit complicated but its a good method if you ask me.Will have a try on this.

So is it correct for me to say that i can't get any elements to have difference appearance if i choose 'Hidden Line' for Background Render coz it will appear as solid white only?

I must go with OpenGL in order to get what i wanted.

Thanks for the sharing.✌️

6 hours ago, Acip79 said:

So is it correct for me to say that i can't get any elements to have difference appearance if i choose 'Hidden Line' for Background Render coz it will appear as solid white only?

No - that's not correct.

If you use hidden line, then you can get any element to appear with a hatch ('surface hatch') using the method I described.

It does mean that you are limited to hatches, whereas with a viewport rendered in OpenGL or Renderworks you can have image/pixel based fills as per @Aspect_Design's example above.

If you are looking for solid colour fill, though, I think you could make a hatch that is just a solid colour.

2 hours ago, Aspect_Design said:

Here are my elevation go-to settings.. took a long while to get somethign I.m happy with since moving from Revit. These settings pretty much give me what "hidden line" did in Revit.. very confusing initially!

70056605_Viewportsettingsforeground.thumb.jpg.7567d6d18133b5d0bd6cd39a7efe1511.jpg

971759164_Viewportsettings.thumb.jpg.087fbd75b0987263e1574e9ceaf56127.jpg

Elevation.jpg

Doing elevations in RW must make it rather tedious each time you update them and have to wait for however long!?

1 hour ago, line-weight said:

No - that's not correct.

If you use hidden line, then you can get any element to appear with a hatch ('surface hatch') using the method I described.

Sorry @line-weight , 

i am a bit confused on which  method are you referring. 😇

i tried to set the classes to have hatching but nothing happen.

12 hours ago, line-weight said:

Doing elevations in RW must make it rather tedious each time you update them and have to wait for however long!?

Around 30 secs for the elevation in the screenshot in my post with a 12 core Threadripper. Sheet layer dpi is set to 200 - I've found it to be the best trade off for file size vs. clarity.  Revit does what I generate now on the fly and in live viewports that you could zoom in and would be super crisp - this was my biggest beef when I switched (still is...). This is the main reason I can't consider a Mac, I'd be rendering forever and would not help my coffee intake at all...

I do so much of the design in 3D I only ever create elevation viewports when I'm ready to publish the plans - it forced me to be more disciplined with classing and setting up a structure that is quick to turn on/off what you need (especially when clients make changes 😡) in order to do one render pass through my two elevation sheets.

The clients seem to like the output - so that's all that matters to me and I can go get a coffee 😁

Ohh its such a frustrating and rigid piece of expensive rubbish... Where to begin... Site modelling is practically nonexistant, every thing you model to reuse has to be a 'family' - these have preset parameters of what it can be called and classed as that are fixed (unlike VW classes where you make your own), no window tool (again needs to be a family - and to be useful made parametric - this is HOURS of work), it will say it can't do a certain thing you want it to do and not tell you why - just throws up cryptic error windows, free form modelling is arcane (massing even more so!) and hits PC performance, working in 3d was next to impossible (but I think they've gone some way to making it easier), so many more things...oh and cost😱

Even though VW has its fair share of issues and weird ways of doing things, I love it so much more than Revit or Archicad. Plus this forum -  its one of the best I've found for product support, company interaction, sense of community and users voices to improve the product.

@Acip79 I stopped using hatches long ago - it was time consuming and fiddly. I build my components with textures with no hatches (i get them from here most off the time) and then create my viewports when I make up the sheet sets. If your computer isn't that powerful, you can do some lower quality renders or use Open GL for background rendering to see what the output like is to save time, then make them higher quality for the set that goes out. I always use hidden line without hatches to give the background render a nice edge.

Edited by Aspect_Design
  • Like 2