Custom Surface Hatch

LRe

Hi,

Im trying to create a hatch that I can assign to a texture and use it as my stone veneer in elevation and 3d...

the issue Im having is that I have been unable to set up the hatch editor with an uneven pattern

Im trying to do One row of 12x24 pieces and second row of 8x30 and have that repeat over and over again..

Any suggestions on how to set this up?

Thanks

can I see the tiles on 3d views just like the surface hatches?

If so that could be a good way to do this for me.. I can find a default hatch that has an irregular height setup, at least not obe that is not extremely complicated and hard to adapt.. 😕

LRe, provide an image of what you want and I'm sure someone will create the hatch for you or tell you how to do it.

Your word description of "one row of 12x24 pieces and second row of 8x30 and have that repeat over and over again" doesn't provide enough information.

To create your hatch it sounds like you need just 4 layers.

- Layer 1 is the base of the 12x24 pieces.

- Layer 2 is the first vertical of the 12x24 pieces.

- Layer 3 is the base of the 8x30 pieces.

- Layer 4 is the first vertical of the 8x30 pieces.

The spacing of each horizontal line is straightforward.  Its dash factor will be 1 and its offset the distance it repeats at vertically.

The spacing for the vertical lines is also straightforward.  Calculate its dash factor vertically and then its width becomes its offset distance horizontally.

The start point for each element is critical and you need to work out the relationship of the two at a particular point.  Once you know the geometric relationship of the two elements at the start point the rest is straightforward and just simple maths.

12 hours ago, mike m oz said:

Without knowing the start relationship I've made this imperial version (ie. inch units) of what I think you have described.  As you will see from the repeating vertical line the start relationship of the two patterns is very important.

464151210_LReHatchImperial.thumb.png.a764745fe7eb0804cb0e3e9f75a4a917.png

LRe Hatch Imperial v2019.vwx

LRe Hatch imperial v2018.vwx

Mike m oz,

You make it sound so easy!!

YES this is what I wanted to make except for the obvious part you already mentioned of the vertical relationship..

I feel like Im missing to understand some core concept on how the levels interact with each other.. because even looking at the hatch you set up Im still a bit unclear how you made it work and I could... because I tried to do exactly what you did and couldn't make it work.. 😆  I will examine it in more detail and compare it to my failed test I see where I went wrong..

On the mean time would you mind explaining how would you modify the starting point of the vertical lines so that they first piece would be half and then the next piece would be a "full" piece... like the sketch attached?

IMG_4484.JPG

I''ve revised the hatch making your 8x30 the first course with the 12x24 the second course with its start point at the centre top of the first 8x30.

The best way to understand this is to plot each layer on graph paper using a different colour for each layer.  For a simple hatch like this use the orthogonal mode:

- Levels 1 and 3 are the horizontal elements and are continuous so their dash factor is 1.

- Levels 2 and 4 are the vertical elements and are intermittent.  Their dash factor is 0.4 (8/20) and 0.6 (12/20) respectively.

17741722_LRehatch.thumb.png.147036250634f3e35ededa52ef7e1173.png

LRe Hatch Imperial v2019 rev.vwx

LRe Hatch Imperial v2018 rev.vwx

• Like 1
On 2/19/2019 at 11:10 AM, mike m oz said:

I''ve revised the hatch making your 8x30 the first course with the 12x24 the second course with its start point at the centre top of the first 8x30.

The best way to understand this is to plot each layer on graph paper using a different colour for each layer.  For a simple hatch like this use the orthogonal mode:

- Levels 1 and 3 are the horizontal elements and are continuous so their dash factor is 1.

- Levels 2 and 4 are the vertical elements and are intermittent.  Their dash factor is 0.4 (8/20) and 0.6 (12/20) respectively.

17741722_LRehatch.thumb.png.147036250634f3e35ededa52ef7e1173.png

LRe Hatch Imperial v2019 rev.vwx

LRe Hatch Imperial v2018 rev.vwx

Thank YOU!!

You are the best!

• Like 1