Worksheet Data Visualization

• 1 month later...

+1 to this, eg a function called  =Image using Data Visualization attributes or something other

and

another called =Pattern using Data Visualization attributes

It would probably be necessary in both cases for the Worksheet to live as a Viewport Annotation.

Edited by bcd
  • Like 2
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Set your class visibilities before you recalculation the worksheet. Whatever is active will be what is used.  

You probably want to make a Saved View of "Settings for Worksheet Recalc" to make it easier to recalc. You could probably even go so far at to put the Recalc command into the saved view so that whenever you switched the view the worksheet(s) would recalculate.

7 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Set your class visibilities before you recalculation the worksheet. Whatever is active will be what is used.  

You probably want to make a Saved View of "Settings for Worksheet Recalc" to make it easier to recalc. You could probably even go so far at to put the Recalc command into the saved view so that whenever you switched the view the worksheet(s) would recalculate.

Rigging-Truss-Simplified is not turned on for any of these screenshots. However, it's somehow always on by default in worksheets. At this point, it appears to be a bug -- notice that the tower truss symbols properly display the data vis in Shaded but not wireframe. So that's actually 2 bugs for me to file... 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Mark, do you get better results if you apply the colors using the Truss Record instead of the "Symbol Name" function? That function works a little differently and may not reliably locate symbols embedded within plugins.

So instead of choosing Objects using Function: Symbol Name, choose Objects using Record: Truss Record: Model Name and apply the same colors there. I think that'll give you better results.

Hope this helps!

Tim

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Tim C. said:

Hi Mark, do you get better results if you apply the colors using the Truss Record instead of the "Symbol Name" function? That function works a little differently and may not reliably locate symbols embedded within plugins.

So instead of choosing Objects using Function: Symbol Name, choose Objects using Record: Truss Record: Model Name and apply the same colors there. I think that'll give you better results.

Hope this helps!

Tim

That may explain why this has worked in the past with VW stock truss symbols but isn't working with my vendor's library of symbols (that aren't VW truss objects).

Is the issue that worksheets work better with records instead of symbols for the IMAGEBYDATAVIS function?

• 3 months later...
On 11/11/2021 at 7:09 PM, Mark Aceto said:

OK new version of the same challenge: need to set fill color by data vis

What am I doing wrong?

Hi Mark,

did you manage to solve this? If I set it to 2D attributes it doesn't use the data vis colors but rather the object colors.

9 hours ago, Holat said:

Hi Mark,

did you manage to solve this? If I set it to 2D attributes it doesn't use the data vis colors but rather the object colors.

Sort of (solved it)?

I think where we landed is that it works if you're pulling from a record but not if you're pulling from "symbol name"? Since then, I think a few folks smarter than me advised against using symbol name as criteria for anything (as a best practice). That's one of the reasons I created a global "missing link" custom record to pull data from. But it could be any record, really. So if you're stuck, just slap a record on the objects that aren't doing what they're told, and that should hopefully work.

image.png.39c9d572dc8a6e4e069ae3b4351465e7.png

Edited by Mark Aceto