Drawing as a PDF ?

Now I am working in VW11.

I am starting to look at sending drawings as pdf to clients because getting dwgs printed is a problem.

I can not see any direct reference to exporting as a PDF in the manual. Before I do a search and start reading in detail any posts on exporting to pdf's here on the forums, is there anything relevant in the manual, ie is EPSF a form of PDF ?

Thanks

Viper x - I don't know.

Below is some more info that came from Julian Carr at Ozcad.

"There are numerous programs that can create PDF files on a PC, including Adobe Acrobat. While this is the most expensive option, it also produces the most reliable and compact PDFs. Other options include:

Jaws PDF http://www.jawspdf.com/download/index.html

PDF-Creator http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/57785.html

Though I don't think these can create multi page PDFs like Acrobat can do."

The reason it is not an export function is because it behaves like a printer and will appear as such in your printer set up, including resolution settings, size, orientation etc.

PDF995 will allow you to combine separate pdf's into one document if you so wish. It's free but you'll have to download the pdf editor part along with the pdf creator part. All explained on the web site. Small fee to stop banner adverts etc. No big deal.

It also goes up to large sizes A1 etc. Windows users only I'm afraid. Download and play, see what you think.

All the best

Alan

quote:

because in MacOSX it is built into the system, print to pdf is available for all apps. [/QB]

Yes, and pdf995 is available in all the applications in Windows so ..uummm what's the problem, what's your point? So it's not part of the OS, big deal. Can you also merge and edit pdf's with the Mac OS in the way you can with pdf995?

Only saying that its a Windows only in case anybody reading it was on Mac and expected it to be Mac as well. If you look at Viper X's signature he states he's a Windows user.

If its some silly sideways dig at Windows users forget it.

I'm aware OSX has it built in, as I use both Windows and Mac but that does not stop Mac users seeking others such as Acrobat Distiller etc.

just a clarification for others who may not be aware of it.

a reader may get the impression it is not possible.

why bother making a dig at windows users.

"I'm aware OSX has it built in"

not really talking to you. just letting users know it is possible to make pdf's on OSX, as some may misinterpret your remark, which could be taken as a sideways dig,eh?

it does have to be done on a sheet by sheet basis, then CombinePDf can be used to assemble it into a multi-sheet issue.

But to get good quality you don't use the OSX save to PDF option.

Instead use this procedure I discovered purely by accident after being very frustrated with the quality of the OS X Save to PDF option on a Mac. (The standard of VW drawings printed this way is very low quality with poor linework and lousy colours. In my view it verges on the unuseable.)

The procedure I now use produces very good results.

- When printing select Output Options and choose Save as File : Postscript. This creates a postscript file. (Do not select the PDF option!)

- Double clicking on this postscript file will open it up in Preview. In doing this Preview converts the PS file to a PDF file.

- Save As a PDF file by just adding .pdf to the file name.

- Do a get info on the file created (Command+I) and change the 'Open With' application to Acrobat Reader

The quality is excellent - the linework is crisp and the colour translation is good.

The only drawback is it can only be done one sheet at a time. On the NNA site I have read that to use Batch printing you need to purchase Adobe Distiller for OS X so that you can select it as a Printer.

NB I have since discovered that there is a way around the batchprint issuer - there is some good information and procedures for printing in OSX on the MiniCAD Design Tools website http://www.monitor.net/%7edbelfm/mcadtools.htm

There are also other good tips and tools on this site. (Thanks to VectorBits for providing the link)

I was giving inform on PDF995 and the fact it was free etc. but also sorry it's only available as a Windows program.

You'd have to be pretty dense to see it otherwise or as a slur on the Mac.

Confusion over, lets move on.

Good tip of Mike's for image quality. I don't know if this would help with batchprinting in the way you are doing it Mike. Link http://www.resolve.ca/addons.html

[ 03-07-2005, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

Why is next to nothing straight forward with CAD I know I am no expert but [Roll Eyes]

Loaded on the free program and printed to PDF995 and nothing happened it just hung.

I followed this instruction :

quote:

To create a PDF file:

Print a document from any application choosing the PDF995 printer from the printer dialog. Do NOT select "print to file." You will be prompted to enter the name of the PDF file you wish to create. The PDF will be automatically launched in Acrobat (pdfEdit995 may be used to configure this option).

file://C:\pdf995\readme.html

Hi Viper X

without being there its difficult to say but for me its just the same procedure as print on a inkjet etc. printer the only difference it comes up with the normal dialog box asking where to save the pdf to. I'm only guessing but have you got the page sizes, print sizes ,orientation matching up all the way through.

Try another program say a word document to try out.

Never had a problem here, honest.

Alan

quote:

Originally posted by mike m oz:

But to get good quality you don't use the OSX save to PDF option.

Instead use this procedure I discovered purely by accident after being very frustrated with the quality of the OS X Save to PDF option on a Mac. (The standard of VW drawings printed this way is very low quality with poor linework and lousy colours. In my view it verges on the unuseable.)

The procedure I now use produces very good results.

- When printing select Output Options and choose Save as File : Postscript. This creates a postscript file. (Do not select the PDF option!)

- Double clicking on this postscript file will open it up in Preview. In doing this Preview converts the PS file to a PDF file.

- Save As a PDF file by just adding .pdf to the file name.

- Do a get info on the file created (Command+I) and change the 'Open With' application to Acrobat Reader

The quality is excellent - the linework is crisp and the colour translation is good.

The only drawback is it can only be done one sheet at a time. On the NNA site I have read that to use Batch printing you need to purchase Adobe Distiller for OS X so that you can select it as a Printer.

NB I have since discovered that there is a way around the batchprint issuer - there is some good information and procedures for printing in OSX on the MiniCAD Design Tools website

There are also other good tips and tools on this site. (Thanks to VectorBits for providing the link)

very interesting Mike but I have printed pdf's produced to a HP plotter without detecting any difference in quality, some other thing is wrong maybe?

I'm not alone in having the problem with the straight save to PDF option under OSX.

I've had other people contact me about the same issue. Also if you look at the MiniCAD Design Tools website you will see images showing exactly what the problem is.

If you can tell me how to get good quality out of the OSX Save to PDF option I will be most grateful.

Zoom in and look closely at your curved and angled lines in your OSX created (save to PDF) file. You'll find some not so desireable results. In previous version of OS X their were far worse issues, but overall we found the OS's built in PDF rendering to be unacceptable for CAD work.

I made a little JPG screenshot of the issue.

1) OSX Made PDF File

2) Acrobat 6.0 Professional made PDF File

3) Vectorworks

http://www.AllenShariff.com/images/PDF_Differences.jpg

It may be tough to see that screen shot at that size, but it should be very obvious where the differences are.

I definitely recommend 6.0 Professional. It gives you all of the standard ANSI and ARCH paper sizes, and gives you a bunch of extra options that are very helpful in our industry when it comes to viewing and marking up files.

[ 03-09-2005, 08:30 AM: Message edited by: PVanderVossen ]

Hi Philip

I'm using a two free pdf programs, one is Arcrobat not Distiller but a cut down version free in the bundled software Sony give on there machines, and another PDF995. Both are Windows PC prgrams.

Looking at your screen shots the results of my pdfs in both instances are almost identical to the Vectorworks original. I'm surprised that the centre image from Acrobat gives such a poor result and would be more than upset if I'd paid that sort of money for that end result.

I think there must be something wrong because I know Acrobat is capable of excellent results. At my last workplace we used it all the time on Macs OS9 with many programs including Vectorworks with crisp non distorted images.

I may pop you a pdf to show you as as I have no web site etc.

Regards

Alan

Philip

I too am astounded at the poor quality of your pdf shots. I don't have acrobat and so use the OSX pdf option. My pdfs are virtually identical to the vectorworks output.

Do you have the same problems with pdfs from text documents or other graphics programs?

[ 03-09-2005, 07:21 PM: Message edited by: Grant M ]

OSX PDF quality is determined by the selected printer driver.

If in doubt I use the Open Source GIMP Print Drivers from www.sourceforge.net.

This means that I have virtually every driver ever written including the Postscript Drivers. Recall that there are native Quickdraw , Quartz, and Postscript resources. The OS will default to the low end unless told to go for the high end PS.

For example use the HP5000PS for high quality color on large format plotters ... although I don't actually have one !

While I was creating that image, I noticed it didn't look very good, but I was in a rush and busy. Now that I think about it, I don't know what the hell happened to that drawing. I tried a different one, and it didn't look anything like that, so oh well. What I really wanted to show was what mike showed, Angled lines (and curves) are thicker then 90 degree lines of the exact same line weight. Its the exact same way coming out of Illustrator, so its not a VW issue, its the OS X PDF driver. I think compared to when I tried the OSX "Create PDF" in 10.0, it has definitely improved, but the line thickness thing is still there.

From what I have seen it is definately an OSX PDF driver issue.

G-Pang advises that he does not have the problem with the printing resolution set to 600 dpi, and yet I do with it set to 300 dpi.

It seems to me that the PDF driver is inadequately converting the VW 300 dpi to PDF 300 dpi.

I am on OS X 10.3.8

[ 03-12-2005, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

I never use PDF format for printing purpose since it cannot match on PS output, unless for Scale down purpose.

There are several methods / and configuration to produce PDF format file. Just choose the method that can give a result that you looking for and also need to consider the drawing type.

As my current job / building size about 400M long + 4 tower up to 55 storey high create some havoc on drawing production.

The drawings scaled from 1:1000 to 1:1 . Just choose a correct choice for deference type of output.

For my need ( as what I looking for )..PS PDF 300dpi cannot match OSX PDF at 600 dpi. Of course PS PDF at 600 dpi is better ( if we compare it with same dpi rate ).

Look it the file / byte size. OSX pdf is 3 times lighter and PS PDF,

forget about Acrobat PRo Distiller since not everyone have it.

I get use e-mail my pdf up over 100 pages. Size is take the rule here.

G-Pang