Snap to Intersection

Since upgrading to 19 and Mojave, I'm finding line selections to be a bit frustrating or inflexible.  I sometimes have a cursor right over a line, and it won't select unless I touch a particular part of the line.  All constraints except snap to tangent are on.

Snap to intersection is also frustrating because while the intersection is visible at a particular zoom level, and I can easily position the cursor so it is on the intersection and nothing else, it will defer to nearby points instead.  I have to zoom in to create some particular pixel distance* to the points of other objects to select the intersection.  It didn't used to be so fussy.  It takes longer this way.

*I sometimes wonder if VW has not caught up with high resolution monitors.

• Like 1

How do you have your Snap Box and Selection Box set in the Interactive pane of VW Preferences.

VW will allow you to snap to anything that is inside the Snap Box and to select anything that is inside the Selection box.

It almost sounds like you have your Snap Box set too large and Selection Box set to small for what you are trying to do.

Correct. I personally like to have the Snap box about twice as big as the Selection box. and I have both set fairly large. This means I often have to zoom in (or use the Snap Loupe) to get to a point where I can identify a single snap point, but I eventually found some settings that I like.

But part of the reason I have them large is that I often do demos and it is easier for the audience to see the large size.

All right, I've tried setting those parameters various ways and I have to say it just doesn't work well.

This is terribly ironic because going back to minicad 3, the one feature it had that was totally superior auto cad and the other programs, was the smart cursor.  It made drawing easy, fast and accurate.  Back then, around 1990, I'd look at drawings from auto cad and invariably their lines only approximately joined up.  But minicad always joined where you wanted and therefore the dimensioning was spot on.

So this is disappointing.  What is happening I think is that VW is prioritizing some snap points over others.  Center points have the same problem on short lines that intersections do.  I can spot the cursor on the mid point and it keeps trying to select the nearby end point.

What would be helpful would be a bit more cursor intelligence.  It is incidentally something I notice in formz.  If you seem to want one thing, but your actions indicate that you don't, the cursor thinks:  "well if he doesn't want that, what might he want?"  In my case it is not an endless list of possibilities.  Not nearby endpoint?  All right how about this center point or intersection?

Right now the cursor feels stubborn and unwilling to adapt.  It didn't used to be that way.

• Like 1

I feel that over the past few releases, the cursor behaviour has got gradually worse, becoming less predictable and more glitchy and erratic. It increasingly feels like there is just too much stuff going on everywhere and the way that the cursor does or doesn't select things doesn't feel intuitive. This applies especially when working in a 3d environment.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, line-weight said:

I feel that over the past few releases, the cursor behaviour has got gradually worse, becoming less predictable and more glitchy and erratic. It increasingly feels like there is just too much stuff going on everywhere and the way that the cursor does or doesn't select things doesn't feel intuitive. This applies especially when working in a 3d environment.

Too many bells and whistles. Every view should be like top/plan view in terms of snapping and feel. Screen Aligned mode is the worst case example of everything wrong with the interface.

Kevin

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Donald Wardlaw said:

Thanks Pat.  I have fiddle with that a bit.  It may be that I can improve things.  But per your comment, those two sliders are linked.  Snap box cannot be set to less than selection box.  Increasing the selection box will at some point also increase the snap box.

Forgive me if you have already already done this... but from my own experience, verify is that grid snap is unselected and then go to Smart Edge > Settings > Object and make sure Master Snap Points is unselected. This liberated in many cases the selection of points for me. 

• Like 1