Workflow for large projects

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 6/9/2020 at 3:26 AM, Markus Barrera-Kolb said:

Thanks @DBrown — one thing that makes me think VW is intended to accommodate drawings sets spanning multiple files is that when you open the Title Block Manager while more than one file is open, it'll ask you whether you want to load the currently open files along with the active one. This would only make sense if all of those files belonged to the same project. If that's indeed the case, presumably the VW developers have also thought of a way to do a drawing index that includes the sheets from multiple files. Does anyone have any experience with this?  

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 17.21.17.png

Hello @Markus Barrera-Kolb,

Yes, you can use the Title Block Manager to edit multiple title blocks across multiple files. You will have to make sure you make any edits from the manager with the correct selection, though, so that you keep your project data in sync.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Hello @jmanganelli,

Thanks for the heads-up regarding workflows for large projects on other platforms. What you are saying had definitely been my experience when working with complex Revit models.

On 6/25/2020 at 11:57 AM, jmanganelli said:

how Bentley in particular organizes models

The Bentley video example showing the referencing of storeys for different residential layouts makes sense (even though I would typically split this into interiors vs architectural).

The one main amendment I would make for a Vectorworks workflow is to prevent references within references for IFC export. Other than that (and other typical Vectorworks best practice workflows), file structure comes down the project requirements.

Cheers.

Edited by Diamond
  • Like 1