MTRobin

Data Tag to reference a symbol within a symbol or group

Hi Everyone,

Attached is a VWX file. I have some lights on a truss and would like to have the data tag label the fixture I select. The data tag references the symbol name. As you can see the data tag is actually referencing the overall symbol and I wanted to see if it was possible to have it reference the lighting symbol within the overall symbol. I tried having it reference the model name within the light info record, but that didn't work either.

Thank you

Maxwell

Data Tag.vwx

The data tag won't tag nested symbols within symbols which is what you are trying to do here. Your truss and lights are currently all one symbol. If you convert the symbol to a group and ungroup then all works fine.

image.thumb.png.cc605bc4c7446f2f8f733fadc0c26093.png

Right. Do you have any ideas on how I can achieve this while still having the whole thing a symbol? That's why I tried making it reference the light info record. I thought it might be able to skip any symbols that don't have that.

Thanks

Maxwell

At the moment, the data tag will not see through one symbol onto another. If you are trying to insert instruments on a lighting pipe or truss as a symbol, then I would suggest that you make them insert as a group (blue symbol). That's been my approach with 6-bars and the like for some time now and it works well.

Got it. The reason they are symbols within symbols is because I will typically have multiple instances of the same truss overhead or trusses SR that are mirrored SL and I need them to be the same. I think I may just add a small label to the bottom of the fixture in the symbol instead of labeling it after in the annotations.

I everybody in this Data Tag to a symbol. I wonder If you can help on this question:

- It is possible to have Data Tag refering to the different materials applied in a Symbol?

Something similar to the attached drawing.

Thank you for your help.

Data Tag.jpg