11.5 - Some Gains but much slower

Ok, so I installed the 11.5 update took a look at the productivity improvements and then started the real work on my existing projects only to find screen redraws slowed to 20% of VW11.0.1.

What have you done NNA?

This is for a range of projects from office interiors with with fully mapped 3d symbols to multi-unit residential developments. In all cases the VW files are more than 25MB. It feels like I'm trying to work on a 5 year old machine. I can only get reasonable performance if I run it on a P4-3200 with 1.5Gb ram. My normal Athlon XP 2000 - 1Gb is almost unusable and as for my trusty AMD 1700 laptop, forget it. I've had to uninstall the update.

For me speed is really becoming an issue with vectorworks and larger data sets. Against either AutoCad or Archicad it runs at a snail's pace. Please Please seriously consider addressing this in the next version update. I love the 2d/3d hybrid environment and you have a fantastic feature set but when I use it's advantages on moderately sized projects it feels like minicad is holding me back.

I second this. Redraw speed is a major problem. Compared to other programs (including cheaper ones) redraws are extremely slow. This issue has to be tackled in the next release. Personally I don't know how other programs' redraws are quicker, I just know VectorWork's redraws are slower. I don't want to know WHY, I just want it fast.

Shaun

Sorry for being so vague about the openGL, I am just frustrated. When trying to render in openGL, the program freezes halfway thru the geometry calculation. It also won?t let me do a full final renderworks. I have tried several things including copying and pasting into a new document.

I have Service Pack 1 installed.

I?ve updated my video driver within the last month.

Katie

P4 3200 has XP Pro SP2 with ATI X800 card.

Athlon 2000 Has XP Pro SP1 with Nvidia FX 5200 256Mb

Laptop is XP Pro SP1 with Radeon Mobility built-in.

I'm using quicktime 6.5.2 on all 3 machines. The copy I have on my install disk is 6.5 and Apple no longer have 6.5.1 on their site so I'm stuck with it.

Turning off hardware acceleration and cache makes it run even slower. I had both on when I posted the note. In all cases Vectorworks is substantially slower with 11.5. I've lost patience with it and reverted to 11.0.1 on all my machines and also those of other users in my office.

All the other office machines are P4 2800 with SP2 and ATI X300 Cards. As far as I can tell they also have Quicktime 6.5.2 installed. We can't revert to 6.5.1 for the reason above.

Allegro,

I was just going to ask for that. Can you email it to the address below along with the above description? I will look at it tomorrow when I'm back in the office.

I'm sorry you are frustrated. Hopefully we'll be able to uncover the problem to get you back up to speed as quickly as possible.

[ 03-07-2005, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Nick,

Can you also send a file demonstrating this problem? I would like to run some tests on the file(s) to see what might be causing the problem.

Please include a description of the problem along with the above computer specs.

I appreicate your cooperation as we look into this problem further.

Nick, Shaun -

What OS are you using?

All of you -

Go to File.Preferences> VW preferences. Under the Display tab, do you have the bottom two items checked?

What version of QuickTime are you using?

Windows XP, 512 MB Ram, P4-3.0 gHz, nVidia fx5700 256MB Ram. Tried both settings in display tab and all new drivers. Problem still is there.

My argument is that VW has always had a BAD redraw speed from the time I started using the program (Version 7). In AC, for example, if one Zooms extents, the whole drawing is shown immediately. In VctorWorks, if one presses "fit to ojects", some objects are shown, then after a while more ojects are shown and so on until the whole drawing is shown. -Time consuming.

Hope this discription is more clear.

Shaun

As a User of both platforms , I note that very often there are hidden artifacts which Autocad seems to ignore but which VW recognizes with alacrity. A single little test Bitmap render left lying around can cause redraw issues... same for 'invisibles'.

Some CAD programs emphasis screen redraw at the expense of accuracy. One reason I enjoy VW is ... accuracy at virtually unlimited scales.

Always do a Select All and look for artifacts ... you may be surprised at what you find. Or even better PURGE !

Noticed a significant slowdown (overnight!). There was nothing changed. Upon opening the file this AM, it started taking 1-2 seconds to recognize and then a couple of seconds to duplicate a line or a block of text. This while zoomed in.

Dual-processor XP machine

v11.5.

The drawing is purged. It's about 5.5 MB. Did the Select All for each of the different layer scales.