Plant Database

justine

I have been unable to have the comments field show up on my Plant List. When I select plants for the Plant Catalog, neither the comments field nor the plant ht/width shows up. Is there a way I can have these entered in automatically rather than manually? I want to use the comments field in the PRD for maintenance tips for the client and I don't want to enter it each time for every job. I'd like to just store all the info in the PRD and have it tranfer to the Plant Catalog.

Also, I don't understand why the height/width fields don't fill in either.

Also, is there a way that only the selected symbols used in the Plant Catalog show up in the Place plant tool? It is a pain to scroll thru unused symbols looking for your symbol.

In addition, is there a way that I can have certain symbols always attached to certain plants, thereby avoiding that extra step for the next job?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can import a Plant Catalog from one document to a new document by importing the symbol folder called "system folder".

You can save a document (and the plant catalog that is part of that document) as a template, for use in future projects.

A record from the Plant Reference Database becomes associated with a Pland Definition when you click the "Plant Data" button in the Define Plant dialog.

There are 3 "Standard" comments fields, called User Comments 1, 2, snd 3, that are part of the standard Plant Data records. Also there is an additional "Notes" field that is defined with the Plant Definition in the Define Plant dialog. This last field can be specific to this particular plant catalog entry, whereas the other 3 are used whenever you associate that plant data with a particular plant. So you have the right idea here.

You can customize the plant list worksheets. Open one of the worksheets, and enable the command "database headers" in the Worksheet menu. Now you can see and edit the fields used in the report. If you want to see the User Comments 1 field in the report, for example, go to one of the database header fields and type the following:

='Plant'.'User Comments 1'

And you will see the contents of that field.

HTH

Robert

Please note - the same comment as I made in a early post. Selecting by using the plant catalog dialoge box would be easier than selecting symbols.

"Also, is there a way that only the selected symbols used in the Plant Catalog show up in the Place plant tool? It is a pain to scroll thru unused symbols looking for your symbol."

Thanks Robert. I was able to edit the worksheet just fine. The fields seem to be consistently too short so I need to lengthen them for the comments and sometimes the name.

I still don't understand why the height and width field doesn't fill in in the Define Plant box after choosing the Plant data button. My PRD was a custom import from VW 9.5. Could this be the problem? I played with the import several times because at first many fields didn't transfer. But I think I got it as right as possible; and the ht/width fields are now filled in properly.

Also, is there a way to universally set the look when placing multiple plants? I don't want connecting lines on multiple plant placements and it seems I can only do this after the fact in the OB. In VW9 this could be defined before plant placement.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

"I still don't understand why the height and width field doesn't fill in in the Define Plant box after choosing the Plant data button."

There are two reasons for this: (1) The Height and Spread fields in the PRD reflect a mature value, and you might want to draw any value in your plant to reflect built conditions; and (2) The H and S values in the PRD are typically ranges, and you need a single value in the plant def. So they are informative rather than definitive.

"is there a way to universally set the look when placing multiple plants?"

You can change the default value of any plug-in using the Parameters button of the VectorScript Plug-in Editor command on the Organize menu.

"You can change the default value of any plug-in using the Parameters button of the VectorScript Plug-in Editor command on the Organize menu."

Wow, I think I need some help with that. Under the Organize menu, under Scripts, under "Create Plug in"? Then what do I do? How do I recognize which named plug-in includes the link lines for multiple plant placement? Seems complicated.