Slabs loose reshape ability

michaelk

Question

6 answers to this question

Matt

Interesting, never thought to look in modifiers.

You are correct, I had used an add surface.  

In this case the slab was showing the correct shape.  I wanted to reshape it a little.

I just tried it and by copying the geometry in Modifer and adding it to the geometry in Boundary, it works again.  I can now reshape it.

Is that the secret?  Surface additions live in the Modifier space and moving them to the Boundary space makes them fully integrate into the slab?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
10 hours ago, michaelk said:

Is that the secret?  Surface additions live in the Modifier space and moving them to the Boundary space makes them fully integrate into the slab?

Yes. The boundary is the shape of the slab. Adding and subtracting surfaces create modifiers have the option to affect specific components of the slab, so they do not change the boundary.

3 hours ago, Matt Panzer said:

Yes. The boundary is the shape of the slab. Adding and subtracting surfaces create modifiers have the option to affect specific components of the slab, so they do not change the boundary.

Is the thinking that the slab should be bound by walls, so adding (or clipping?) a surface to a slab is just taking care of an unusual condition?  The example I posted was for a deck which will never be bound by walls but will need to be reshaped several times as the project develops. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, michaelk said:

I feel a script coming on…

LOL!

1 hour ago, michaelk said:

Is the thinking that the slab should be bound by walls, so adding (or clipping?) a surface to a slab is just taking care of an unusual condition?  The example I posted was for a deck which will never be bound by walls but will need to be reshaped several times as the project develops. 

I believe this is the reason. If a slab is bound to walls, each segment contains bounding information. If you suddenly add more segments, you might get unexpected results. I have not confirmed this is the reason for sure, but I believe it is.