Workgroup Library

I'm having a this-can't-be-true moment. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I've been using Vectorworks since the beginning, but I've never set up a workgroup library with shared resources. With recent changes to staffing and workflow, now is the time. It seems that I am allowed to create a workgroup library on a shared drive (e.g. Dropbox), but the folder structure has to match the default library structure. Is this true? The default library is a non-sensical, convoluted mess! The point of creating a custom library is to organize resources in a way that makes sense to our office. If true, what is best practice for workgroup libraries? Where can I vote for a more flexible, customizable, and user-friendly library?

Yes, no, and maybe.

You can set up your library any way you want it to be, but if you want the objects in the library to show up as Default Content in the various VW tools, then they have to be saved in the correct location. No way around that.

BUT, the Default Content library folders also recognize alias/shortcuts. So you can set up you library however you want and then put an alias in the correct folder to get the objects to show in the default content.

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

7 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

but if you want the objects in the library to show up as Default Content in the various VW tools, then they have to be saved in the correct location. No way around that. 

so this is the reason why the "Replace..." button in the OIP works only with the favorites folder on the local harddrive ?

Not tested yet: I guess the tools work only with the "User Data and Preferances" folder, wheras the data in the "Workgroup and Project Folders" only give general (shared) access to the file recources, like symbols etc. ?

Maybe its even a question of having "Design Series" installed ?

Is there somewhere an example (screenshot) of how a typical workspace folder looks like ?

Edited by halfcouple