Possible PC issue with Numeric Keyboard

MartinFahrer

Question

Please fix or help me if you know a fix.  My Mac friends have the option of turning off having the numeric key pad changing the current view, for some reason I don't have that option on the PC.  I have lost count of the hours wasted using the numeric key pad thinking I am editing a number, only to have my current view change, then having to go and change it back.  A very boring time suck.

An yes I have allowed Numeric keypad for instant data board entry turned on.  Great when you are drawing a line etc.  I am talking about using the kepad to enter offsets and other numbers.

Any way to disable the numeric keypad from changing views on a PC?  

thanks

5 answers to this question

What may help, but I would have to double check, is to get a TKL (Ten Key Less) keyboard, i.e. one without a numeric keypad, and a separate numeric keypad. Depending on the electronics the separate  number keypad may only work as numeric entry and will not be able to change views. I know the separate numeric keypad ones from Ducky Keyboards will not change your view, but another separate numeric keypad I have will change the views.

The size difference compared to a full keyboard with numeric keypad is relatively small, at least for most mechanical keyboard manufacturers that offer a TKL and separate keypad.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Art V said:

What may help, but I would have to double check, is to get a TKL (Ten Key Less) keyboard, i.e. one without a numeric keypad, and a separate numeric keypad. Depending on the electronics the separate  number keypad may only work as numeric entry and will not be able to change views. I know the separate numeric keypad ones from Ducky Keyboards will not change your view, but another separate numeric keypad I have will change the views.

The size difference compared to a full keyboard with numeric keypad is relatively small, at least for most mechanical keyboard manufacturers that offer a TKL and separate keypad.

That is a good work around!! However not for me, with the 3D mouse and a Graphics Display and separate keyboard from my lap top I have to many side peripherals as it is.  Solid advice though.  I wonder why some change views but others don't.

I know tha Mac version has a way to turn it off,  the PC version should as well.

Hoping it gets added to the request.  The PC space bar bug should be fixed first.  Both slow down my workflow by not being intuitive to how a person drafts.

17 hours ago, BG said:

Have you tried turning off the Number Lock on the keyboard?

Not sure why would I do that, defeats the purpose. That's like saying "if it doesn't work why fix it just don't use it"  

I use numbers keypad for imputing numbers.  all in one place, and if you are good you can use it one handed like typing a-s-d-f on a regular keyboard without looking.

Edited by MartinFahrer
On 2/8/2019 at 4:24 PM, MartinFahrer said:

An yes I have allowed Numeric keypad for instant data board entry turned on.

I use it that way all the time too.

But from time to time, that settings gets lost after a Restart.

Same as the loss of the "Render long" dropdown option.

For which ever reason.

Causes some irritation until I realize it.

Yesterday on Windows I lost the whole Keyboard.

Took my quite a while to realize why I can't SHIFT Multi Select and such things,

until I realized that the NumLock and SHIFT+ Lights don't work either

and I had to Plug the USB out and on again ...