Olivier Jauniaux

How to make One Way Mirror/Glass

Hello hello VW Community!

I am designing a project where I need to accurately produce the effect of a one way glass wall (with a mirrored interior finish and translucent from outside)! Does anyone please have any idea how I can achieve this? Many many thanks!!

If you are only going to be doing static views then the easiest way would be to use normal glass in the window with a mirror on the room side that has its own class.   From the viewing room have the mirror's class invisible and from the interview room side have the mirror class visible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mike m oz said:

If you are only going to be doing static views 

Unfortunately I was wanting to animate!! Hence my problem! Otherwise, yes I could just control individual panels etc!

I attempted this once and failed in Renderworks. From what I understand, to accomplish this you need to be able to map two sides of the same poly (whatever the glass surface is made of) with different textures and have both faces occlude one another. This is possible in some rendering engines I have experimented with but I am fairly confident that we don't have that level of control in Vectorworks.

Could you do it with light levels like they do in real life.  ie.  very low light levels in the viewing room and much higher light levels in the observation room.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim Wilson said:

I attempted this once and failed in Renderworks. From what I understand, to accomplish this you need to be able to map two sides of the same poly (whatever the glass surface is made of) with different textures and have both faces occlude one another. This is possible in some rendering engines I have experimented with but I am fairly confident that we don't have that level of control in Vectorworks.

Suggestion for the next version of renderworks then!! Wish list!