Christiaan

Ability to join multiple walls at once

Question

I'd like to be able to join multiple walls at once when using the join command (⌘-J)

So in the following example I want to re-join these three walls because I've edited the Wall Style and my components are no longer joining correctly:

Step 1, select all walls

Step 2, execute the join command  (⌘-J or Modify > Join > Join)

Result: all adjacent walls rejoined

As currently designed I'd have to use the join command or the Wall Join tool to join each wall join separately. When you apply this to an entire model, let's say 8 storeys high with 140 flats, this can get pretty tedious, especially if you change the wall style multiple times throughout the project.

563995830_Screenshot2019-02-08at11_15_39.thumb.png.b6770331db675c071977dfa6511f3898.png

67882499_Screenshot2019-02-08at11_15_48.thumb.png.06886dfbff4f6285ff7f5a6c0a1ed18d.png

1724471319_Screenshot2019-02-08at11_16_03.thumb.png.bf0a1efe7ada8e630fcccab39a3c3dc4.png

4 answers to this question

To avoid any confusion, here's a simpler example of what I'm asking for:

Step 1: Select all relevant walls

Step 2: Execute join command:

Result: all selected walls joined

529709331_Screenshot2019-02-08at15_18_43.thumb.png.6643d65aa0db02c081d520a23694bdd5.png

169445960_Screenshot2019-02-08at15_19_13.thumb.png.b062e63f24403aabb872c70d97ee3e95.png

1926633555_Screenshot2019-02-08at15_18_57.thumb.png.c2f1b0f32bdf08b97fd9e62ba3f0d654.png

Hi Christiaan,

In your first example, did you try the "Rejoin wall components" option in the Wall Replacement dialog? That should do what you're asking.

As for your second example: While it seems simpler, it's actually more complex and is probably not possible to do in a predictable way. I say this because the wall control lines are all isolated from one another. Vectorworks won't know which wall should be joined to which. If their endpoints touched other wall control lines, Vectorworks could make some good guesses . 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/8/2019 at 7:40 PM, Matt Panzer said:

In your first example, did you try the "Rejoin wall components" option in the Wall Replacement dialog? That should do what you're asking.

Hi Matt, yes that's spot on, thank you. That's a set of options I've gotten so used to ignoring that it hadn't occurred to me. Not only can I fix existing component joins—by replacing the walls with their own Style with Rejoin Wall Components checked (although this is limited to one Wall Style at a time)—but if I had selected this option in the first place when I was editing the walls I wouldn't have had this problem!

I'm going keep this option checked going forward, so it'll be interesting to see if it has any undesirable behaviours.

On 2/8/2019 at 7:40 PM, Matt Panzer said:

As for your second example: While it seems simpler, it's actually more complex and is probably not possible to do in a predictable way. I say this because the wall control lines are all isolated from one another. Vectorworks won't know which wall should be joined to which. If their endpoints touched other wall control lines, Vectorworks could make some good guesses . 🙂

As long as the behaviour was somewhat predictable we could preempt problems by joining smaller groups of walls rather than attempting all walls at once. Proximity would be the main factor and this could be set to very close for most scenarios to work.

Anyway, it's the first problem that's my main issue, with this second one being a nice to have. Thanks for your help 🙂

Edited by Christiaan

Hi Christiian,

6 hours ago, Christiaan said:

I'm going keep this option checked going forward, so it'll be interesting to see if it has any undesirable behaviours.

The option will force a rejoin of the walls of that wall style. If you have any custom component joins, they will be lost with that option. If you notice any other undesirable behviors, let us know.

As long as the behaviour was somewhat predictable we could preempt problems by joining smaller groups of walls rather than attempting all walls at once. Proximity would be the main factor and this could be set to very close for most scenarios to work.

You’re right. It could be done by proximity. But as you mentioned, the Rejoin option solves the bigger issue.

Anyway, it's the first problem that's my main issue, with this second one being a nice to have. Thanks for your help 🙂

Glad to help! 

• Like 1