different scale on different design layers

Yes it's possible, and normal.

It will cause you problems if you want to view two layers at the same time, and they are at different scales though.

There's something called 'unified view' and I've never quite understood what it actually does.

I find the concept of different design layers having different scales a bit confusing. What it really means is the scale that you view them at - which becomes relevant for things like line thicknesses.

These days I have nearly all my layers set at 1:1 because otherwise I have problems in 3d. Scale only comes into play when I make a viewport on a sheet layer.

36 minutes ago, line-weight said:

There's something called 'unified view' and I've never quite understood what it actually does.

Unified view matches the "camera" view of all the layers to the current layer.  For example - if you are on Layer 02 and you switch to a Right Isometric view, then Layer 01 will also show in that view - so you can fly around your model on different layers and have all layers Unified.

You can do different scales on different layers, but as Line-weight said - you'll have visibility errors.  I try to keep all my design layers the same scale (usually 1:1 or 1/2" = 1'-0") and then do different scales when I am laying out viewports on sheet layers.

e.

Line weight and EAlexander will have there good reasons for using 1:1 design layers however I think the supposed 'best' practice is to set your design layer scale to the scale you will use for your main drawings. E.g. If most of your plans are at 1:100 then set your design layer scale to 1:100.

That way line weights, line styles, arrow heads, page based symbols etc will scale the same in your design layer as they are seen in your viewports. Text will also read the same size, so 14pt text on a 1:50 design layer will look the same size as 14 pt text in a 1:50 sheet layer viewport.

I remember my days using autocad where I had to increase the font size of text in the model space to match that on the drawing. Design layer scale in VW does this for you.

If you are doing 2d work then you might have a design layer set to 1:25 for sections and elevations and design layers at 1:5 or 1:2 for detail drawings. 

Thanks guys. I used a 1: 1 scale for the circuit, the other layers were 1:50 for the architectural plans. But there was a strange glitch: my symbols for the circuit were scaled to 1:50 on a 1: 1 layer. And in the resource manager too, the my symbols have increased 50 times.
That's why I asked this question.