Does anybody use 'data visualization' on a regular basis?

Hi there,

I was wondering which part of the VW community is using 'data visualization'.

I'm asking, because I opened a thread in the wishlist section of this forum and do not get any support for it.

Link to entry in the wishlist section

So maybe may 'wish' isn't relevant or only a very small part of the community is actually making use of 'data visualization'...

Looking forward hearing from you

VvierA

I use data visualisation all the time and really like it. It seems to be taking a bit of time to catch on as I don't think Vectorworks have really flagged-up what it can do. The one tutorial video that I could find was of a very dry example. The entertainment sector would find it really useful for identifying all sorts of criteria. One suggestion I think I've made before is that it would be really good when new features are implemented, if more wide-ranging video examples could be posted of how the software designers and engineers at Vectorworks actually envisaged these new features being used. That's more of a marketing thing though......

There are still some minor bugs with it and sometimes 3D geometry doesn't work in OpenGL where it does in Renderworks, and there is an issue with some 2D symbols and graphics compatibility which apparently are going to be fixed with the next service pack. So these teething troubles have possibly made it a little hard at first to understand fully.  

It is certainly the closest way of getting the much asked for capability that AutoCad has had for years and years of having a BYLAYER (class) functionality for geometry inserted within symbols.

It would be great if it could work alongside class overrides in Sheet Layer Viewports and I for one would like to see the functionality applied to design layers as well. Hopefully one day?

I use data visalisation to check door/window data, custom and built-in. It's a great way to check on the floor plans, eg. which doors have a threshold, electric locks, opening/closing systems etc.

Much easier than clicking the door by hand and checking at the OIP. You get a glimpse of the whole floor at once.

• Like 1

@markdd

Thank you, very interesting. I also think, that it can be a very powerful tool, but I fear, that a lot of users don't know that.

@JMR
Thank you JMR. Using it for internal quality control is another great thing. Of course in this case you won't miss the option to combine it parallel to class overrides.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2019 at 3:46 AM, markdd said:

I use data visualisation all the time and really like it. It seems to be taking a bit of time to catch on as I don't think Vectorworks have really flagged-up what it can do. The one tutorial video that I could find was of a very dry example. The entertainment sector would find it really useful for identifying all sorts of criteria. One suggestion I think I've made before is that it would be really good when new features are implemented, if more wide-ranging video examples could be posted of how the software designers and engineers at Vectorworks actually envisaged these new features being used. That's more of a marketing thing though......

There are still some minor bugs with it and sometimes 3D geometry doesn't work in OpenGL where it does in Renderworks, and there is an issue with some 2D symbols and graphics compatibility which apparently are going to be fixed with the next service pack. So these teething troubles have possibly made it a little hard at first to understand fully.  

It is certainly the closest way of getting the much asked for capability that AutoCad has had for years and years of having a BYLAYER (class) functionality for geometry inserted within symbols.

It would be great if it could work alongside class overrides in Sheet Layer Viewports and I for one would like to see the functionality applied to design layers as well. Hopefully one day?

Is there any slick way to make a symbol key so to speak of stuff using this?   IE:  Using data visualization to color code the truss by length.   Is there easy way to make a reference key for it the colors?

5 hours ago, Wesley Burrows said:

Is there any slick way to make a symbol key so to speak of stuff using this?   IE:  Using data visualization to color code the truss by length.   Is there easy way to make a reference key for it the colors?

@Wesley Burrows One of the options is to set ranges and assign colors for that. How to make that appear in a schedule or key for that particular view could be handled a couple of ways. One that comes to right off the top of my head would be simple fills of the matching colors. To be automated you could rely on the old trick of making a viewport at a really large scale to have the color from the visualization to show up. Hope this helps.

@Wesley Burrows There is no plug-in solution that I am aware of but creating a list of Truss symbols and then applying a data tag to each one (brilliantly quick with the "Select eligible objects" mode) you could probably come up with a workable Truss key in about 90 seconds. You will need to make the Data Tag of course with your preferred parameters.

Create a viewport of that on your sheet layer, apply the same Data Visualisation settings from your previous viewports (eyedropper tool does a good job of this)

1511290233_Screenshot2019-02-27at08_57_01.thumb.png.58514e5dc5afb76e4d55f3dda6c8f08a.png

Quantities are going to be more problematic and you will probably need to think of a worksheet route for that.

Truss Key.vwx

Edited by markdd