Scale Interior Elevation Markers

Is there a way to adjust the scale of an interior elevation marker in a detail viewport?  I've tried using the Marker Scaling Tool which doesn't seem to do anything. Symbol scaling seems to scale the data tags in my viewport. 

1370008431_ScreenShot2019-02-06at4_31_34PM.thumb.png.31856ee1e795799e0f1593926c628bb0.png1629278339_ScreenShot2019-02-06at4_32_52PM.thumb.png.c07caa7d65521d50d90edf7b1f13a2b0.png

Edited by cberg
  • 3 weeks later...

You've most likely solved thie by now but if not...go to the marker on the design layer and change the two variables highlighted in the attached image.

I hope you don't mind if I 'hijack' your post on a few interior elevation related comments/ queries which I wonder if anyone(/VW) has any view on/ remedy to.

1) VW default seems to be to generate a scale on the sheet layer elevation viewports (so you have to manually turn it of on each elevation on the sheet file if you don't want it to displayed - often the case for me). Is there another way? A tick box to turn this off early on in the process would save much editing of viewports.

2) The elevation marker is generated centrally justified (I'm yet to meet an architect/ designer places them that way - more usually left justified, sometimes right). Can this be set to default to the side?

3) The default elevation depth is very deep and in a large file can lead to lengthy waits while VW generates elevations(s). Can default be set to say, 1m, 5m 10m rather than what seems to currently be the depth of the building (through countless walls) to avoid the need to manually amend (by flipping between sheet and design layers)?

All minor things in themselves, but add up to a considerable investment in time, especially when you have multiple 10-20 drawing sheets each with 4 elevations to set up!

190225_elevation_marker.thumb.JPG.0bf29fd29ebe71c4c1db37b3c1ee52bc.JPG

Because the interior elevation marker instance only exists in design layers, not sheet layer viewports, the scale of the elevation marker is set by the scale of a Design Layer.  If you make a plan detail viewport at a different scale, the elevation marker gets out of scale, with no way to correct.  (As I've been able to figure out)

Interior elevation viewports should be able to be controlled like section viewports.  In section viewports marker instances can be set to be visible in Design Layers, Sheet Layer Viewports, both, or neither.

Even though the interior elevation marker works as designed, it's a bad design, and it really should be improved.

Edited by cberg
  • Like 4
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

So how does everyone approach interior elevation markers then?

My understanding is:

• The interior elevation marker has to be places on the design layer (for example at 1/4"=1') to generate the elevations from the model.
  • I want the interior elevation marker to only appear on an enlarged plan (for example at 1/2"=1') and now my interior elevation marker is double the size it should be.
  • On the enlarged plan Advanced Viewport Properties I can scale the text to .5 but the interior elevation marker size does not change. 
  • Changing the marker scale and symbol scale does not change the interior elevation marker.

Do I have to turn off the class my interior elevation markers are on for the enlarged plan viewport and add a "dumb" marker in annotations so it shows at the right scale? One tag to generate the elevations and another unlinked tag to show at the right scale? This can't be the answer...what am I missing? 

Not sure if this has been addressed in VW2020 but an issue that's been an on going problem is the lack of scale / output sensitivity of most Tool/PIO objects that produce graphical data on a drawing & as you point out @Jim S. "live" on a Design Layer. We have tried two options, both work-a-rounds.

-The first we tried was to turn these objects off when they take up too much room in a viewport looking like an imported ACAD chunk of text, & placing a "Dumb" graphic in the Annotation Layer. (This also allows us to make nice looking custom callouts that one can't achieve with many tools.) This works & keeps 90% of Text in Annotation where it belongs but it becomes a management issue to ensure as things change things of this nature are captured & updated; manually.

- The second way we manage this is to use two viewports. One has the offensive PIO's class turned off, the second is a very small Viewport that is cropped closely around the graphics of the PIO but we reduce the scale of this viewport so that graphic object is appropriate for the viewport. A work-a-round but less management other than to check to ensure that the 2nd scaled viewport isn't accidentally sent to the back. 

This issue in many, examples has been wish listed several times- fingers crossed for 2020!

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...

Does anyone have any interesting updates on this topic now that we have been using 2020 for a bit?  It does not seem that VW gave one of the most used tools for a drawing set any thought of an upgrade for 2020.  Would be great is a VW employee could chime in on this issue...

• Like 2

@Jim S. I have been waiting for this change for years with no update yet. I wonder if they'll address it the way they introduced Data Tags that get added into a VP rather than on the Design Layer.

On the same note, the door keys not adjusting to scale is a similar problem. The data tag feature fixed that, but adding them is another step, where the Door ID built into the element is still a nice feature.

• 3 months later...

Laura,

if you are making elevations generated from your model, you go to View, Create Interior Elevation Viewport and then click to place it on the design layer.  It needs to be placed on a design layer because that is where the objects to generate the interior elevation live.  If you tried to place that tag on a sheet layer you would get a message saying something like " there are no walls here". 

If you wanted just a marker that did not generate elevations from your model you can place a "dumb" tag on either a sheet layer or design layer from the Dims/Notes tool palette using the Interior Elevation Marker Tool.

• 2 years later...