How to 'fill in' ground around foundations etc, in section drawings

In essence, I want to end up with a section viewport that shows something like this:

1493570091_ScreenShot2019-02-06at20_17_55.thumb.jpg.5bf8591cb682ede05d056a6ac31c533e.jpg

The green represents the 'ground', which of course the bottom of any wall and its foundation is going to be buried in.

In actual fact what I'm really interested in is the solid line that represents the surface of the ground: I want this to be generated from what I model in 3d. So, I'd also settle for something like this:

1301508382_ScreenShot2019-02-06at20_18_10.thumb.jpg.4686cb50f7e45d46636198d300743f52.jpg

I've been trying to do this using site model objects to model the ground surface and that works fine at least looking at it in OpenGL, set to view as a mesh surface with no 'skirt' (it's helpful to view be able to view the model with the ground as a surface, rather than a solid block, because then I can still see what's going on below ground). Here's what it looks like in OpenGL:

48264044_ScreenShot2019-02-06at20_28_22.thumb.jpg.5ecc3e06501519489f75f26767ddbb98.jpg857483473_ScreenShot2019-02-06at20_28_50.thumb.jpg.8d7d8f4ac7698fdf69dd3062becd342a.jpg

But in a section viewport I get this:

1061182855_ScreenShot2019-02-06at20_18_38.thumb.jpg.2a1650075244052651babcf25b9af05a.jpg

Which, of course, is not what I want. So, is there any way to:

(a) have the section viewport only show the ground surface of the site model object (not the 'skirt' sides and bottom)?

(b) Somehow wrap the site model around the geometry of the wall and foundation (so it looks like my first image at the top of this post)?

(c) Use some other kind of 3d object to achieve what I want?

4 minutes ago, Kevin Allen said:

Not my specialty, but can't you do a solid subtraction out of the DTM?

I've sort of assumed that wouldn't work with a DTM but maybe i should try...

Even if it works though...if you've got a lot of walls and foundations and other below-ground detail, it's going to be a rather fiddly process and hard to edit if you subsequently change the position of eg a wall.

7 hours ago, Boh said:

Haven't tried it but what about stacked section viewports?

One just for the DTM and the other for your bldg model. With two viewports you could set the attributes of each differently in the "Advanced Properties".

I don't think that would work unless I did some intricate cropping of the viewport that had the DTM, because the DTM section would have to sit 'behind' the section of the building and in 'front' of the elevational linework of stuff beyond the cut plane.

I guess there could be one VP with everything, then in front of that one that only shows the cut plane through the model.

Would prefer to avoid stacked viewports if possible though.

12 hours ago, line-weight said:

VW doesn't seem to want to let me do a solid subtraction including the DTM (selecting it and a simple extrude leaves the option greyed out in the menu)

I think I had seen that in some webinars.

Could it be just the typical error of not having both objects on the active Layer ?

16 minutes ago, zoomer said:

I think I had seen that in some webinars.

Could it be just the typical error of not having both objects on the active Layer ?

Ah - you are right.

So, it has subtracted a simple extrude from the DTM, and the object I am left with is a solid subtraction. So it doesn't have the options of displaying contours and so on.

The DTM is still 'inside' the subtraction, at least, so I could still go in there and edit it.

Not ideal though. I would still have to subtract a lot of separate below-ground elements to make it correct.

Here's what the subtraction looks like in section viewport:

97464483_ScreenShot2019-02-07at12_31_45.thumb.jpg.0e8a348219b20fbe83a0f90ebcdd6f35.jpg

The extrude was subtracted from the DTM on the left (the one on the right is unaltered)

The 'hole' in the ground is where I subtracted the extrude. You can see it's rendering it as a surface instead of a solid now. Which in a way is fine by me...

But... it is not showing the section through the surface correctly... it seems to be doing the same thing as I've described in this thread:

3 minutes ago, line-weight said:

it is not showing the section through the surface correctly...

I think DTM never does so, if your Section Line crosses any kind of Modifiers (?)

(Beside simple Texture Beds ?)

Yes, now that you said it,

I think the Webinar was about preliminary Design and Presentation of early stages.

There it was handy that you could edit your Subtraction Solids while designing.

I think the final Model will need replacement with standard Modifiers.

(Which can't have "real" vertical Borders)

• 4 years later...

I'm bumping this thread from 4 years ago because I still haven't really found a good way to deal with this.

Unless anything has changed about DTMs in the meantime?

I often find myself filling in "ground" using 2d polygons in annotation layers (as in the example below), but this is very tedious and I wish there were some way it could be done directly from the 3d model.

Screenshot2023-11-16at17_40_13.thumb.jpg.97d137d7c80c23460400a23d01b5d4e9.jpg

Edited by line-weight
31 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Can you do it with two VPs: a building section stacked over the top of a site model section?

This doesn't work if there's any linework beyond the cut plane unfortunately. It could work for a section with no extents beyond cut plane but in that case it's also quite easy just to put a filled polygon behind the vport.

• 4 weeks later...