massing model problem

emo

Something strange is happening when I use massing models as site modifiers.

I just put about 100 buildings onto a site as massing models. I sent them all to the surface, then regenerated the site model. Though they are all between 12 and 48 feet tall, most of them only look 1 or 2 feet tall on the dtm. They do all show up, but only 4 of them are the correct height on the site model. I can't find anything different about the settings for these four.

The massing models themselves all appear to be the correct height, and if I put the site model on the same layer, they appear to float on the surface. I've tried manually adjusting the Z value to something 20' higher than the elevation that resulted from the send to surface command, but then all I get is the dreaded miscellaneous error 20,2.

I need the buildings to be part of the same mesh as the site so I can plot to a milling machine.

Any tips on what I might be doing wrong and how I can fix it?

Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving,

Erin

vw10.5 mac 10.3.1

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The massing models don't by design change the mesh of the DTM. They are designed to "sit on top" of the DTM. The base of each massing model is a pad modifier surrounded (at a user-defined offset) by a fence to allow the DTM to fit to the massing model. If you need the buildings to be part of the same mesh, you can try setting the class of the massing models to 'Site-DTM-Modifier'.

• 2 months later...

This seems to be somewhat similiar to what I'm attempting.

I would like to generate a DTM with accurate cut and fill. I have generated a site model using extrapolated data from a survey. I discovered that using the 2D Polys to 3D Contours method generated acceptable results. In contrast, if I attempted to generate a model using 3D Loci, the results were a mess.

Generating the proposed cut model seems to work fine by using the site modifier tool. My quandary is in regards to generating an accurate fill modifier. My intent is to modify the site with fill that is not a flat or sloping pad, but rather a mound of dirt that will eventually be landscaped.

Is the best solution to use the site modifier tool to generate a pad with a relatively small area, at the top of the mound, and then use the fence tool to create a polygon that represents the base of the mound? I guess my key question is whether this is the best method to generate an accurate fill calculation? I want to be able to trust the area and volume numbers calculated by the DTM.

Thanks